Sexing flowerhorn and texas

mantisfan101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2019
I got the fh from petco and the texas from petsmart. I believe both are too small to vent since they are both 2.5” and 3.5” respectively, but I also want to try and breed them and get some fh x texas fry. 2B9F0E5F-68BC-4D40-AA76-373C4FDBF876.jpeg1A4B7B3E-310B-430E-A146-B7E2420C80C9.jpegED159290-D5BA-4B8C-9AAD-F2E568500746.jpeg
I believe that they both are males because of the lack of the black spot on the dorsal fin, but I’m hoping that one of them is female.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Well in my personal opinion I would say the Texas is probably a female while the flowerhorn looks to be male. Granted its best to vent them just to be certain. If the Texas does turn out to be a female I would recommend putting it in a smaller tank to slow it's growth rate temporarily while growing out the flowerhorn till it's a good 1-2 inches bigger then the Texas. Most aggressive Cichlid females will not breed with a smaller male. The reason you need the male to be so much bigger is so the female has a place to hide where the male can't fit into. Also a nice soft sand substrate is good for breeding Cichlids of almost any kind. They really really like to dig and push the sand around where they want it to be. But most importantly is to whatch them like a hawk to make certain they are not just fighting continuously. A lil fighting now and then is fine but when it's back to back fighting none stop it's not good to keep them together anymore. Hope this helps ya a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store