Sexing Jewel Cichlids (any sub/species/strain)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I've breed them before from several different pairs, and I could never tell them apart. I had a big male that got a "hump" on his head and was pushing 6" but out of 4 pairs and numerous other individuals, that was the ONLY one that showed any dimorphism or tell-signs for sexing. Even on the nest, I couldn't tell which was which.

LFS has some Blood-reds and Neon-Blues so I might get a pair if I can sex them, but I don't want go spending a bunch of $$$ if I'm not getting a pair.

Any Help?

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I would just keep an eye on them and look for 2 individuals that seem chummy. Even if not "paired" most cichlids will tolerate the opposite sex a little more than their own.

Reactions: Rio Kaiju

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I would just keep an eye on them and look for 2 individuals that seem chummy. Even if not "paired" most cichlids will tolerate the opposite sex a little more than their own.
well, I grabbed 4 of them tonight....they were $3 each so I ended up actually getting like 50% off cuz I'm friends w// the owners and we always take care of each other, so I couldn't resist. Just my luck, it looks like I got 2 that look the same and 2 more that look the same. Maybe 2 pairs? IDK - 2 have a lot of jeweling and the other 2 are a little smaller and not much jeweling at all.

Does that mean anything??

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Ok, so it's been about 2 weeks and I noticed one was getting bullied so I put him in a breeder net and he jumped out of it 4 days in a row and today I switched to a "better" breeder net. After a water change last night I noticed today that the largest of the group was showing some erratic jerking twitching motions towards the other 2 smaller ones.

I'm wondering if this is a male trying to pair up with one of the others or is it a dominant female pecking at the others to entice a spawn or what? One of the smaller ones NOT being bullied has shown a TREMENDOUS appearance of red almost overnight.......Is that her/his breeding colors??? The other don't show barely any red at all....

The one who got bullied worst has some nipped fins, but even another one has a slightly ever-so-lightly torn tailfin - Will Jewels refuse a harem like do they just see it as "other predatory fish near their spawning bed"? Or do people successfully form colonies of 1M to 2-6F or what?

I don't remember any of this from last time I bred these guys cuz it just happened without me noticing and they just had babies one day and I came downstairs to turn the hood lights on and was like "oh.....ok, cool"

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
It's been a while since I've bred a red jewel. Typically the male does go after the female. So if the dominant one is a male, it would make sense if he was shaking his tell feather at the other 2 if they were both female. It would also make sense that the one it's picked on the most, is probably a male as well.
Typically when the jewels pair up, they do go after their species.

How big is your tank?

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It's been a while since I've bred a red jewel. Typically the male does go after the female. So if the dominant one is a male, it would make sense if he was shaking his tell feather at the other 2 if they were both female. It would also make sense that the one it's picked on the most, is probably a male as well.
Typically when the jewels pair up, they do go after their species.

How big is your tank?
I started with a couple small guys in a 10g , planning to move the 2 that DON'T pair up, then removing the parents after the fry can care for themselves.....but I have an arsenal of tanks that can go up in minutes if need be.....which will be happening soon if the dominant so decides he doesn't like tankmate #3 now that #4 is gone.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
ok, that was quick....just came downstairs and the DOMINANT one, is now cowering at the surface while the bright red one is guarding an area she has apparently laid about 100 eggs on so far....ironically the other fish it allows near the nest is fish #3 with the lightly ever so slightly torn tailfin.

ok, now this is just getting weird

Reactions: 5Spot Junkie

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
LOL!! Give it some time. Pull one at the surface. I keep the bigger jewels but it seems the when breeding, the female is the most aggressive. Keep us updated

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
LOL!! Give it some time. Pull one at the surface. I keep the bigger jewels but it seems the when breeding, the female is the most aggressive. Keep us updated
I can't even tell if any are male yet.....I forget, fertilized eggs are opaque or clear? I theorized I might have 4 females and her aggression is because she's ready to mate, but the aggressioncould be sexual frustration if she doesn't have a male?

Why else would 3 of the 4 be afraid of her and even the one she lets near the nest is getting a little beat-up?

Reactions: 5Spot Junkie

5Spot Junkie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2010
Washington
www.facebook.com
Eggs should be a cream color. If they're white, male didn't do his thang! How long has it been since she's laid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store