Sexing my Red Devil

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
By the size of the gravel in the OPs pic, it appears to be small, too small and young to exhibit outward gender difference.
If the gravel is large, and the fish is actually 5" or more I'd agree with Jexnell that it looks female, by the shape of the profile, although to me these Red Devil type Amphilophines are notoriously hard to determine sex of, even as full grown adults. I've seen females with nuchal humps, and males without
The gravel appears to be more like small rocks to me so I would estimate it length at about 5-6in just comparing it to the pot in the tank. I definitely agree tho that most Amphilophus, especially red devil's, can be very hard to sex without venting.

Thank you now I need to find a male to try to breed her with
Personally I would vent it just to be 100% certain on the gender before ya go out and get another to try breeding it with. Last thing ya want is to end up with 2 of the same gender lol.

I don't mean to get off topic here but ya should get yourself some vinegar to clean the hard water build up on the "outside" of the tank. Vinegar works get for hard water spots on glass, ya just can't use it inside the tank without properly diluting it first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store