Shed barb

krabbo008

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
concord nh
So my male motoro had his first shed barb sometime between last night and when I got home form work this afternoon..I can't find it anywhere in the tank. I have a tiled bottom and the only other fish are a 18" silver aro and a female motoro. Is it possible it floated or got pushed up andfternoonnd sucked in my overflow? I haven't checked the filter socks yet. It's def not stuck in one of the other fish, which was my first concern.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
No the barbs always sink.

Between gaps in tiles? How big is the Ray, as smaller Rays barbs are almost like needles so can easily be tucked somewhere?!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Yes, I'd put a real effort into finding that shed barb. You do not want to find it accidentally while cleaning your tank down the road. Shed barbs are still venomous. Would not be a pleasant discovery!

krabbo008

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
concord nh
No the barbs always sink.

Between gaps in tiles? How big is the Ray, as smaller Rays barbs are almost like needles so can easily be tucked somewhere?!
The tiles are very tight and there is no where for it to slip into. The male is about 6 inches

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Shed barbs are not venomous. Once the color is gone and they are white you are fine
I've had barbs stay dark colored for months after they were shed. I wouldn't want to test the theory. I always get them right out of the tank just to be on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store