She's laying eggs but.....

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
So my Red Monkey is laying eggs. She has been at it for over an hour already. Sadly she is only laying on the clay pot base and none of the eggs are sticking. Their might be 20 eggs that are stuck to the pot, the rest are just floating away. So sad. I had a female that had this problem about 10 years ago. And honestly I don't even remember if I did anything to help or if she just had to figure it out without any assistance from me. This is her first time laying for me so hopefully she figures out how to fix this....

IMG_3094.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
If anyone has experience with this happening please help me remember if there is anything I can do????
My last two females (one was a Kamfa female, the other was a red dragon female) laid eggs inside clay pots and on the same rocks I have in the tank with this female. If you have experience with this type of situation please post.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
So she laid eggs again on the 15th. This time she laid on some of the big rocks in the tank and so many eggs stuck as they should. She laid some on the clay poy base and they stuck as well. I'm wondering if the 25 days of antibiotics and Clear cycles somehow killed many of the eggs in her first clutch. This last clutch of eggs all stuck. My male SRD didn't eat the eggs so that was a plus. BUT he did not actually do the act of dragging his belly on the eggs and fertilizing them. He investigated the eggs, and tried eating the few white dead eggs that were on the rock. The rest of the time he just swam around two inches above the eggs watching/guarding them. This was my first time trying to breed this male so maybe next time he will get it right.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So she laid eggs again on the 15th. This time she laid on some of the big rocks in the tank and so many eggs stuck as they should. She laid some on the clay poy base and they stuck as well. I'm wondering if the 25 days of antibiotics and Clear cycles somehow killed many of the eggs in her first clutch. This last clutch of eggs all stuck. My male SRD didn't eat the eggs so that was a plus. BUT he did not actually do the act of dragging his belly on the eggs and fertilizing them. He investigated the eggs, and tried eating the few white dead eggs that were on the rock. The rest of the time he just swam around two inches above the eggs watching/guarding them. This was my first time trying to breed this male so maybe next time he will get it right.
Generally it take new parents a few tries before they get it down right. Just give em some time to practice and they should be able to figure it out on their own.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Yeah flowerhorns need a lot of practice. I have had males not get it right until the 5th or 6th time. Meanwhile I was figuring the male was not fertile. So I know patience is a big part of flowerhorn breeding. I have never kept a red monkey before. So this sub-species is all new to me. Anytime I keep a new sub-species of fish I try and gather new info on them from people that have kept them before. This female is the biggest female I have ever owned and she is dropping eggs every 2-3 weeks!!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah flowerhorns need a lot of practice. I have had males not get it right until the 5th or 6th time. Meanwhile I was figuring the male was not fertile. So I know patience is a big part of flowerhorn breeding. I have never kept a red monkey before. So this sub-species is all new to me. Anytime I keep a new sub-species of fish I try and gather new info on them from people that have kept them before. This female is the biggest female I have ever owned and she is dropping eggs every 2-3 weeks!!
Well that's good, she sounds nice and healthy atleast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store