:-Shipping fish to Uk

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
I have not got my tank yet but I hopefully will be getting it soon and it is going to be 7x3x2. I have been reading the buy and sell forum and the prices are amazing. Would it be possible to ship a fish from the usa to a airport in the uk or is it not possible? The laws in the UK are relaxed about which fish can be kept. Also would the shipping be soo much that it wasnt worth buying the fish and are they any sellers on this site who would be willing to ship to the UK?

Thanks,

Kieran

tropicalfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2005
Long Sault, Ont. Canada
Hi there, I own a store in Canada and have looked into purchasing fish from overseas, I have found the prices are around $180 CDN a box, keep in mind this is for large orders, and I know its cheaper once you hit a certain amount. I'm not sure it would be much cheaper than that, but it might be different bringing it over to the UK from here.

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
HI kieren

I have bought several fish into the UK from the states using several suppliers - pm me and i'll let you know who.

Its actually a very simple process and as long as the paperwork is completed its a case of just organising collection from the airport (I always use a transhipment agent now that charges about £50 but organises VAT payments, Boarder Inspection Post Inspections, DEFRA inspection and movement through the airport to a collection point).

you'll need a licence - get form DOF 7 and 8 from the DEFRA website and take it from there ...

carl

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
I have not got my tank yet but I am definatly going to get it but when i get it is the question. Thanks for the information about shipping fish to the uk. Do you know how much the license costs, how long it lasts for and how long it will take to come through? Also I will probably be going to florida or somewhere like that and was wondering if I brought my licence could I bring them back with me? £50 seems good, would that just be for the transport and the supplier would have to pack them?

Thanks,

Kieran

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
The licence is free, it lasts for 1 year.

£50 is just a fee to take them from the aircraft to your car - you have to pay for the fish, the freight charges (which vary from airline to airline, number of boxes etc etc) - on 1 box freight is likely to cost in the region of £40 to £50, maybe less depending upon weight and airline. In addition you will have veterinary inspection fees in country of origin - this is likely to cost (in the states) £10 (? something like that), handling and box charges - depending upon who boxes up the fish, and where they have to be taken too, then you have VAT at the UK end - which obviously depends on the value of the fish - plus £25 for Defra inspection charges - photocopying and administration - so, what can appear to be cheap fish - cost an absolute fortune to deliver to the UK.

You won't be able to buy fish in the states and take them to the airport to check in, airlines won't take live baggage - you'll have to arrange for the fish to be sent as frieght - which involves the above steps -

get the tank, decide what you want, where from and see if its going to be worth importing ...

any other Q's just ask

carl

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
Okey thanks I know how the costs will add up. I might be aswell getting my lfs to do a special order when I want a fish they dont have in stock. They can order me gold and red asian aro's in and stingrays but stringrays seem to be alot more in the uk compared to USA.

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
what stingrays are you after in particular - if you look around you can find some well priced ones - you've got to be prepared to travel to get them though - one other thing is that at least you'll be able to see the fish before you buy -
carl

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
At first I want a Motoro ray then I want to move onto a Leo. I have been to wharf aquatics which is about a 3hr drive for me but my relatives live close I can go when I visit them. Have you been to Wharf and are they any other good aquatic places you could suggest?

Thanks,

Kieran

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store