Short body HRP and short body pink convict breeding project

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hi guys. Here’s a little short body experiment I’m trying. I have a male short body hrp(as far as I can tell that’s what these guys are) and a short body pink convict (sadly dyed but I was given her...long story). So my short body hrp used to live with a regular female convict in my girlfriend’s pond. They’ve had several batches of fry but only 2 have survived. Surprisingly these are also short body. I’ve bred short body pink con to regular con on the past and all fry were regular sized meaning the short body gene is recessive but this doesn’t seem the case with the sb hrp. So I’ve setup a breeding tank to breed them and see what the results are with both fishes sb genes. The fry will carry both plus the pink con gene which will be interesting. Any I cannot keep will be culled if necessary, I won't be putting them back into the hobby as I think it's wrong to do this with hrp/con mixes as they are so similar looking and people don't always know they are getting hybrids. Also please don’t say “ooh that’s part parrot”. Unless you have some way of backing up these claims please refrain from commenting about it. Oh and I’m aware the tank is a tad small but this will be used as a fry tank. As soon as they are free swimming I’ll remove the male and possibly the female back into the pond.

Reactions: Nano Vanisher

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
Great T! I am glad that you decided to do a SB HRP and SB pink Con. I believe you will have pint size attitude for days!

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Thanks mate. Unfortunately the fry seem to have been eaten by the parents at the stage they should have become free swimming. They were tending the wrigglers fine and had even moved them a few times. There are a few factors involved. It was the female's first fry and the tank size and area (my bedroom) may have been an issue. There is also the possibility they were too weak due to the short body genes of both parents and they sensed this. I'm gonna let them have another try as they seem to still be getting on fine. If they fail again I'll swap the female for a more experienced one. I have one who has had several batches of fry with a male short body pink.

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
My female blood parrot did that a few times and then finally we had a successful batch , I did pull the eggs from her finally. I get spoiled with Hrp or con as parents as they are generally such great parents. I would give her another chance ,as in a month, if they laid under those conditions, they will again. My females body went into overdrive trying to lay until she had a successful batch now she is not trying to lay every few weeks. Still can't get a female firecon to drop eggs , I am getting reports of the same ritual but no egg laying from others that received the fry. I will probably do some pink cons here in the next few weeks but it is always easy to talk my other half into letting me do short boded as they are "cute" and girl approved . cheers

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
My female blood parrot did that a few times and then finally we had a successful batch , I did pull the eggs from her finally. I get spoiled with Hrp or con as parents as they are generally such great parents. I would give her another chance ,as in a month, if they laid under those conditions, they will again. My females body went into overdrive trying to lay until she had a successful batch now she is not trying to lay every few weeks. Still can't get a female firecon to drop eggs , I am getting reports of the same ritual but no egg laying from others that received the fry. I will probably do some pink cons here in the next few weeks but it is always easy to talk my other half into letting me do short boded as they are "cute" and girl approved . cheers
Mate, I spoke too soon. I've just noticed the female digging a new pit and constantly checking on an old one. Lo and behold the fry are there. Looks like they are just starting to swim.

Good luck with the short bodies and any new pics of the fircons if you still have them?

Nano Vanisher

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2017
The good ole' disappearing , reappearing fry! congrats! sometimes challenging to see them with substrate . tank looks good :clap

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
BF505068-489B-4A89-A87C-DD843C479535.jpeg 1B814D1E-F916-4924-895E-660F6262A7C3.jpeg 61B18C80-C2AD-4B84-A377-E0C400E3F0F3.jpeg One week since the fry became free swimming. They are growing well and the parents are still doing a good job. They’ve also now got 2 adopted fry from my other pink short body pair. They bred in my musk turtle tank and only had 2 fry left so I moved them. They are about a week older and one is pink, the other striped. This is strange in itself as in the past I’ve only had 100% pinks from the pink shortbodys.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Keep us posted. I never expect that the fry will survive, now im curious how they gonnna look like. Thanks for the post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store