Should/cCould I get an aro ? crash course

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
First off sorry for any idiotic questions, I have no experience with aros. Tank is still in the planning stages but i should be placing the order with in the next couple of weeks. The main inhabitants so far are polypterus and maybe a vieja Heterospilus and maybe some clown loaches (not purchased yet) Would any of the following aros work in a 96x36 or 40 x 24 (height)

Silver aro
Black aro
Jardini
leichardti

Only 1 lol

Are jardini really that nasty ?

Whats the difference between a lei and the others ?

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
if you have no experienced with aro i suggest to start out with cheap silver..they grow fast and cheapest out of all aro.

Reactions: tlindsey

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
An aro will fit in the tank you plan on getting. Jardini are very aggressive and will kill tank mates. Leichardti are very similar in appearance but are a more gracile species not as heavy but generally the same length and not as aggressive. Leichardti are more suitable for a community. Black aerowanas are generally not as prone to drop eye as Silvers are but cost more. The adult size is close maybe slightly smaller than a Silver but only by a couple inches.

My Silver has one drop eye, but it doesn't bother me, others hate it. Silvers are the least expensive and most readily available. Leichardti are the most expensive followed by the jardini and the Black. If you like Asian aros the Jardini might be the closest but the aggression should not be overlooked.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I would get an albino if you can. They are pricey but no different than keeping a normal silver. I have a few silver for a grow out tank very small size and planning on keeping one only but only thing you have to watch out for is when they jump. They can get skittish and hurt themselves bad. I need to buy some crickets for my arowana never fed them live foods but they're small and need to grow faster lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Jaws if you get a small one especially silver grow it out in an aquarium by itself , they are very fragile less than 7" imo and also small Aro won't have to compete for food.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx for all the replies guys.

So i definitely want a comm friendly aro dont want anyone messing with the polys lol.

Looks like the best choice would be either a lei, black, silver, or silver albino.

From browsing the section i was aware of drop eye but didnt know it was more common in silvers.

Any difference in care for the lei vs black/silver aro ?

So 7ish inches is the length that would be more hardy ? Good to know

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Lei is a relative to a jardini. But are the most expensive out of all of them except maybe the albino? They come from Australia. Silvers and blacks come from the Amazon. They are the easiest for a community tank. Honestly I love getting a tiny baby aro and growing it out. It isn't that hard. He meant that they are easily killed and injured by tank mates at that size.
I ask the lfs owner for a flake and toss it into the tank opposite the pack. The first one to swim up and hit it is the one I take home. If the owner won't let me then I'm looking for the one that is most personable/not shy/begging for food. All have similar care requirements.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks man. Wow i really like the way lei's look.... silver/black are nice too

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I would get an albino if you can. They are pricey but no different than keeping a normal silver. I have a few silver for a grow out tank very small size and planning on keeping one only but only thing you have to watch out for is when they jump. They can get skittish and hurt themselves bad. I need to buy some crickets for my arowana never fed them live foods but they're small and need to grow faster lol
]

I have no idea what you're saying here...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store