should i strip my fish?

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
so its confirmed that my one fish is holding. I striped her but decided to let her take her babies back. cause there is no real tank for her young. but now i'm htinking she won't release them cause the conditions are not right. I'm pretty sure by today or even tomorrow that the yolks will be all gone.

i'm not sure what i should do. right now i got her in a marina multibreeder box. the rest of the tank is not set up. there are no rocks, no gravel, no plants. and there are abou 16 other cichlids free swimming.

its going to be a while before i find time to set up the 55 gallon where i want.

I'm pretty sure the fry would be ok if i striped her but i'm not sure if i should.

merc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
North GA
Make sure you put sand in the bottom of that marina breeder box. The fry can and will get underneath that bottom plate. Also, make sure the lid is on TIGHT. I lost 25 fry for both reasons I just stated :)

Strip her in about a day or 2 to let the egg sack disappear.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Yeah - just leave the babies in the box - but move them into another tank ASAP as they grow very fast and need space to grow. Enjoy!

merc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
North GA
My yellow lab is holding eggs. I just noticed her yesterday. She had been "bloated" for a few days so I thought she might be overeatings and I fasted her. She was still bloated then noticed her buccal cavity enlarged. I plan to keep an eye on her and when I start to see the eggs turn into fry I am going to give them a few days then strip them from her.

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
so i figured last night enuff is enuff. I took the girl out. put her in a shallow tupper ware and stripped her. it took a while but the fry was kinda big already. they had stripes and the yolk were all gone. made me wonder how much longer she would of kept them in her mouth.

I got 13 out and one refused to come out. i had no choice but to put her back into population with one fry in her mouth.

I put gravel on the bottom of the breeder and let the fry lose.

now i must go home and feed. hope they do well.

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
so out of the 13 my friend counted when we striped her. only 6 remain. either they were small enuff to fit into the gravel got traped and died, or got out and died. or they ate each other.

i dunno. but the dudes are cool.

and yeah they grow fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store