Shower tile to waterproof plywood tank

pyromaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
big tank
i do have a tiled tank but its cement and i think its was waterproof before the tiles were attached. you cant bank on the tiles to keep it waterproof,even with good grout and silicon on the junction. repairs will be costly if it starts to leak.

CA-Delta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
ITHURTZ;4484022;4484022 said:
You can tile a tank and use silicone for the grout lines. The ONLY problem would be a tank shift and a tile cracks making a leak. I want to make my snapper a bigger tank out of tile. I have absolutely no fears of this. Epoxy grout is 100% water proof but $$$.
This discussion has been had before.
Can you line a tank with tile and be successful ? Yes
Is it cheaper than other options ? No

If you are dead set on having a tile lined tank be prepared to spend money.
Contrary to popular opinion concrete, concrete block and cement based grout are not waterproof.
Tile is, Epoxy grout is. Here's where the problem starts.
If the tank structrure flexes, even a little, epoxy grout is not going to save you.

If you go this route make sure your home owners insurance is paid up.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Only if you mount them on something waterproof tile is not waterproof. A shower is not under water that is why you dont use sheetrock behind a shower you use rock board. why not do a plywood tank and just put the tile on for Decoration if you are dead set on tile. Hope this tank is on concrete not the second floor lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store