Sick black barred dollars

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've never kept SD's but I believe they can be extremely twitchy. Have you any decor that they could have injured themselves on during a sudden burst of speed?

Also, do you think your plecos could have something to do with it? I ask because your tank seems very busy, if the plecos aren't getting their share of food, if they're very hungry, and dependant on what type they are, they have been known to attach themselves to fish.

It's a long shot but if you can rule it out then at least you're closer to finding an answer.

Meds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2019
Thank you so much for taki
I've never kept SD's but I believe they can be extremely twitchy. Have you any decor that they could have injured themselves on during a sudden burst of speed?

Also, do you think your plecos could have something to do with it? I ask because your tank seems very busy, if the plecos aren't getting their share of food, if they're very hungry, and dependant on what type they are, they have been known to attach themselves to fish.

It's a long shot but if you can rule it out then at least you're closer to finding an answer.
thank you for taking the time to reply. I’ve sat and watched for hours and the plecs don’t go any where near the sds. They are well fed too so shouldn’t be hungry.
They are itching but don’t have any white spots? There is bog wood which they itch on - but why have they itched so badly. :( thanks again - I’ll keep watching just in case :)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
That aint scratchmarks. Its an male turning sexually mature and fully normal for the males to color up like this. It looks like acne but nothing to worry about.
Take a look on the analfins on the two that has this mark. It looks like someone took a part of it away right? Then its an male. He will eventually develope streamers on the dorsalfin that will become black when fully mature.
Here is a good referencepic of my old group i had. In the foreground a male and background an female. And you will see its easy to tell them apart by the black marks and the diffrence in the analfin. Here you will also clearly see the streamers on the dorsalfin im talking about. They become secually mature at around 12cm give or take.

20190618_160048.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That aint scratchmarks. Its an male turning sexually mature and fully normal for the males to color up like this. It looks like acne but nothing to worry about.
Take a look on the analfins on the two that has this mark. It looks like someone took a part of it away right? Then its an male. He will eventually develope streamers on the dorsalfin that will become black when fully mature.
Here is a good referencepic of my old group i had. In the foreground a male and background an female. And you will see its easy to tell them apart by the black marks and the diffrence in the analfin. Here you will also clearly see the streamers on the dorsalfin im talking about. They become secually mature at around 12cm give or take.

View attachment 1388601
Thanks for clearing this up. So is flashing for them a dominant display?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for clearing this up. So is flashing for them a dominant display?
I didnt see my males flashing like that but it can be. I did see some aggressions my males between with chasing and biting. My dominant male used to rub against the females and sort of vibrating against them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I didnt see my males flashing like that but it can be. I did see some aggressions my males between with chasing and biting. My dominant male used to rub against the females and sort of vibrating against them.

Oh ok Tbh I have Spotted SD's and the males get dark around tail and anal fins but didn't know that about the Black Barred SD.

Meds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2019

View attachment 1388601
O wow! Thank you so so much, I’ve been so worried! They do that the black smudge behind the gills which they say comes on when they are ready to mate! So it totally makes sense. Would this explain the itching?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
O wow! Thank you so so much, I’ve been so worried! They do that the black smudge behind the gills which they say comes on when they are ready to mate! So it totally makes sense. Would this explain the itching?
I cant tell about the itching. Can you try to record it and upload on youtube an link it here so i can see?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

I apologize for not knowing that about the Black Barred SD,s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store