Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
0ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi! So I recently bought a baby black ghost knife fish. When I got him I noticed his tail was a bit ragged, but I thought it was just from being tranported and stuff. So I’ve had him about three days now, and today he has like a line halfway down his body thats lighter colored, and his tail is all ragged and droopy. He has a good appetite and has been eating twice a day and he swims around fine, but he dosent look very good. I have most medications on hand but I’m not sure which ones are safe for him since he‘s scaleless and stuff. He’s in a ten gallon quarantine tank right now btw so no cross contamination with other tanks. Oh and before anyone says anything, I know he gets big and I have bigger tanks for him once he’s done quarantining, assuming he lives. Sorry the picture is not very good, its hard to get him out of his cave:)

2DDC19F4-773C-40A0-82F4-280C1446562E.jpeg

16FAD610-D84D-4024-A325-7FE26028E46D.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Antibiotics are fine at full dosage (for even most scaleless fish). It's the other medication you need to worry about.

I would first try Seachem Kanaplex. I had a similar issue with a South American Lungfish. If that doesn't work at full dosage for max treatment time, do a large water change and try Sulfaplex or Triple Sulfa or Furan-2.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fujimoto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2021
Maryland, USA
Okay thank you! I’ve never had a scales fish before so I wasn’t sure about the medication:) Now that I’m looking at him more, he seems to have some swelling on his back, like maybe some sort of trauma happened at the store? Like he got crushed or something? Just a thought idk. Thank you for your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store