Sick Convict Help Fast!!!

mostlycichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2006
Colorado
www.freshwatermadness.com
As you may already know Ive had 2 firemouths die in the last month and now one of my convicts is sick. This is an established tank ph is 7.4 temp is 77 and weekly 50% water changes are done.

Now the fish is breathing fast with gill movements of 70 plus times a minute and no appitite. It has white stringy poop this is day two of this behavior. I was hoping to get a diognositc of what it could be. I dont want to put any unnecessary meds or chemicals in and risk destroying my good bacteria.

I posted this thread on AC a couple days ago and she seemed ok then.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91374

What actions should I take My qt tank broke before the summer so I dont have one should I remove it and treat it whatshould I do I need help fast so please let me know what you think. Oh I put a flash light on her while the room and tank was dark and did not notice anything else wrong. I plan to do a scheduled water change today and a complete teardown and clean everything.

mostlycichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2006
Colorado
heres the rest of the scoop....I added a firemouth a month ago that died it turned dark and was breathing hard stopped eating and was swimming into things. I did a complete clean after it died then two weeks later the same thing happened to my adult firemouth, I did another 75% water change and a full clean now two week again my convict is sick. I am very concerned with the breathing is that a symptom of parasites?

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
not certain about the rapid breathing but no appetite and white stringy feces is likely an internal parasite.

i had a cichlid go without food for over two weeks while i tried to figure out best treatment and initial cause with similar symptoms. metronidazole seems the unanimous choice for treatment, with a multitude of 'deliveries' lol.

i sucked out and got the fish to eat 'geltek' the day before i was to start treating the entire tank. hope you sort it out, get more help.

mostlycichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2006
Colorado
skinless;622917; said:
not certain about the rapid breathing but no appetite and white stringy feces is likely an internal parasite.

i had a cichlid go without food for over two weeks while i tried to figure out best treatment and initial cause with similar symptoms. metronidazole seems the unanimous choice for treatment, with a multitude of 'deliveries' lol.

i sucked out and got the fish to eat 'geltek' the day before i was to start treating the entire tank. hope you sort it out, get more help.
can I pick any of the meds you mentioned up at Petsmart?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store