SICK DISCUS!!!!!!!

bleublaze55

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2009
Orange County
Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,
something weird is going on with my discus that I have not really seen discussed here yet. My youngest and smallest leopard discus started to show signs of lesser heath quality I think sun. I examined him as much as I could and could see a little bit of what looked like peeling on his upper body. This was not over a scratched area so I wasn't thinking slim coat build up but I’m not ruling it out either. Water was good. It might have been just under 20ppm for nitrates but everything else was in absolutely perfect condition. Although truthfully I did not check the ammonia level, but I will in an hour or so. I did a water change on Tue, about 50%, and moved some decoration around and cleaned the sponge filter. I filled the tank back up and added the discus buffer that I use to create a lower PH. Today I noticed that the color on the littlest one was dark and he looked sicker. I haven't checked the water again today but I will just after 1130pm PST. Also the other discus, a melon, checkered one have lowered fins, like the natural tendency is when they are sick. Another discus also has some weird looking opaque color variation on him... he’s much larger so the color hasn't really dimmed too much either. I have taken the steps to treat with Aquai-sol... Just to make sure it’s not an external problem. Also behavior seems modified, as in they are eating but not as ferociously as it was last Thur.

I added fish on Fri, didn't quarantine, cuz I don't have the room! I add tons of stuff, snowball pleco, a gia (earthmover?), damanios, cardinals, rummy nose, and I can't remember if anything else. I also got a moss ball... if that helps AT ALL!! haha...

Anyways, after all my info here, I was hoping someone had an idea how to revive them! Could it just be all the change and they are stressed? Could it be an actual illness (please no please no!!)

Anyways, HELP!!!!!

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It sounds like you've introduced a disease into your tank with the new additions. Quarantine is always one of the most important things you can do when dealing with discus, in my opinion.

If your nitrates are 20ppm you should probably do water changes. Discus like theirs under 10. Also, why are you trying to lower your pH? What is your tap water pH before treating? Unless it's unusually high, you can grow out healthy, happy discus in regular water. Mine do not get any special treatment when it comes to water parameters. The key is clean, warm water. If the pH shifts and changes all the time due to the chemicals you're using, this could cause more stress for your fish and lead to more problems. A stable pH is better than a fluctuating one.

bleublaze55

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2009
Orange County
I try to keep the PH just under 7. my tap is more akaline. It must be a disease, but as I stated before I dont have any room to quarantine as in tanks and space...

The other fish, especially the most dominant one, seems to be trying to outcast him. I have also noticed that they all use one fin at a time most of the time. its something I have never observed before. If i need to medicate with something more drastic, i would like to do it soon because I will be away from the tank this weekend. Im thinking internal parasite.... just because even tho i see slight physical abnormalities most of them do not have these abnoormatities, just the sluggish movement and the lowered fins...

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
bleublaze55;3669897; said:
I try to keep the PH just under 7. my tap is more akaline. It must be a disease, but as I stated before I dont have any room to quarantine as in tanks and space...

The other fish, especially the most dominant one, seems to be trying to outcast him. I have also noticed that they all use one fin at a time most of the time. its something I have never observed before. If i need to medicate with something more drastic, i would like to do it soon because I will be away from the tank this weekend. Im thinking internal parasite.... just because even tho i see slight physical abnormalities most of them do not have these abnoormatities, just the sluggish movement and the lowered fins...
Your first defense is to step up the water changes. I always start with clean water and see if the fish will come around. Discus show similar signs of stress for a plethora of illnesses. Loss of slime coat, clamped fins, sluggishness, lack of appetite, darkening of color, etc. could happen due to poor water quality, internal parasites, "discus plague," and a ton of other ailments. So it's pretty hard to pin down based on symptoms.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Discus that look like the skin is peeling off is a sign of excessive slime coat production, almost a sure sign of a water quality problem. If you added new critters to your tank recently, you could be experiencing a mini cycle. Ammonia is a big no no in a discus tank. This would explain the excessive slime coat production, and the discoloration on the body from ammonia burns. Massive daily water changes are the only cure in such cases until your bio filter catches up to the fish load. Good luck. Discus exposed to ammonia often die, either from the ammonia itself, or from a parasitic infection bought on from a weakened immune system.

bleublaze55

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2009
Orange County
Hey,

It looks like an ammonia burn. I have been doing daily water changes and it has brought a lot of the color back and the fins aren't clamped any more!! lets hope they don't get any parasites or anything else while they are weakened!!

Anyone know how to make the color really pop? I am feeding them bloodworms, brine shrip, and color enhance crisps. I would love some suggestions, i really want super bright discus!! as im sure everyone does hahaha!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store