Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Sick fish,please help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Savethemall, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Savethemall

Savethemall MFK Members

aaa
      Yesterday at 4:08 PM
      Hi, I have a Geophagus who today out of nowhere started sympotms that fit to "whirling disease". He has episodes of spinning since this morning and he dosent eating{yesterday he ate} there were no other sympotms iv noticed. He is alone in a 60 L quarantine with 2 internal filters, temp is 26 C ,amonia 0, nitrit 0, nitrate 10 and i dont have pics for now. After doing some research I read about a parasite that is the accepted reasn for the diseae,but its sounds weired to me beacause it known to infect via worms that used as live food where i never used any,and also it is more common on cold water fish like salmons. in other article i read that nitrofuranol is a reccomended med for this. So i decided to try all: i have Furan {nitrofuranol},i have Leviamisole and i have gyrodol{praziquantel} and i want to use them all together. Im trying to get info if its ok to use them together,also if only 2 of them are ok together. I would also appreciate any suggestion for other ways to treat but i really ant to know about the usage together of these, thank you!

2. blackwolf911

blackwolf911 MFK Members

Today at 7:30 PM
    3. Savethemall

Savethemall MFK Members

aaa
      Hi thanks for replying. I know that this is severe. but we dont know what the cause and therfor we dont know what the outcome will be, its like when we see pinecorning fish we assume its bacteria causing "dropsy" but its not necesserly true, the pinconing is a symptom indicates kidney failure and the cause for this can be many things and its probebly will affect the outcome of the treatment. I heared about a few cases that didnt survive and about a few that did with the same whirling symptoms so i want to try to treat. Do you know about the combination that i want to try > nitrofurazon+lvamisole+praziquantel?

4. blackwolf911

blackwolf911 MFK Members

Today at 7:30 PM
      I don't know much about diseases or their treatments honestly.. you sound like you did a good amount of research.. hopefully someone else can chime in.. if they don't try renaming the thread nitrofurazon+lvamisole+praziquantel together?? Maybe someone will see that and answer more quickly

5. Rocksor

Rocksor MFK Members

Today at 5:00 PM
      how does anti parasitic medication like levamisole and praziquental help with whirling disease?

6. Savethemall

Savethemall MFK Members

aaa
      most of the sources claim the cause is a parasite. , rocksor do you know about the combintion im asking about?

7. Savethemall

Savethemall MFK Members

aaa
      I also want to know if adding Kanamycin to them will be ok?

8. Savethemall

Savethemall MFK Members

aaa
      I started with nitrofurazon on monday ,the first days of symptoms, added kanamycin the net day and added levamisole yesterday. Yesterday the spinning has stopped and since then he is sitting on the bottom of the tank on his side.. i dont know if this is improvment or the opposit..what do you think?

9. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 8:54 PM
      Hopefully an improvement. Not sure if it’s from the meds but glad it’s over. Since u started the meds. Make sure you finish the course. Fingers crossed. Keep the water pristine.