Sick fish?

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
My baby rotkeil and sajica have white or clear stringy poop. I have metroplex but before I begin treatment I would like to get advice from more experienced keepers.

They both eat and are active. I have noticed the sajica will sometimes spit food out though.

Are they Sick? Should I treat with metroplex or something else?20171126_152345.jpg 20171126_152439.jpg 20171126_152538.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My baby rotkeil and sajica have white or clear stringy poop. I have metroplex but before I begin treatment I would like to get advice from more experienced keepers.

They both eat and are active. I have noticed the sajica will sometimes spit food out though.

Are they Sick? Should I treat with metroplex or something else?View attachment 1286424 View attachment 1286425 View attachment 1286426

kno4te kno4te

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Just ordered NLS Hex-Shield which will be here Tuesday.

Should I start treating the water with metroplex tonight and start feeding the nls food at the same time when it gets here?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just ordered NLS Hex-Shield which will be here Tuesday.

Should I start treating the water with metroplex tonight and start feeding the nls food at the same time when it gets here?

If possible put fish in a separate aquarium and treat if medication jeopardizes your bio media. I know HexShield won't but don't have any experience with the others.

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
My other 2 tanks have fish in them and this is the only tank that has any sign of illness.

If nobody responds by tuesday I will use the hexshield and hope for the best.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Separate and start the metro and once the hex shield comes in then feed as well. Can add prazipro for better coverage.

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Update to maybe help someone else in the future.

I treated the water with metroplex on a Sunday night. That Tuesday I again treated the water with metroplex and fed the fish hex shield. The fish ate the hex shield.

Wednesday the fish would not eat the hex shield. Fed it twice through out the day and had to siphon it out both times.

Thursday I fed the hex shield again and the fish would not eat it. So instead of just treating the water with metroplex I soaked flake food in water with it. I used a full tank dose in the mixture. The fish ate this mixture with the sajica sometimes spitting it out.

Friday I did not try the hex shield any more. I fed a metroplex half dose mixture twice. Used some frozen blood worms and flakes. Fish ate this with the sajica spitting some of it out.

Saturday I did the same as Friday with the same results.

I did not treat anymore after that and by Wednesday I had normal poops and the sajica was not spitting any food out.

Everyone seems healthy at this time and my cycle was not affected.

Will this have caused any permanent damage to the fish? The rotkeil has shown decent growth since I have had it but the sajica is still only around 3/4" and I have had both going on 2 months I think.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Update to maybe help someone else in the future.

I treated the water with metroplex on a Sunday night. That Tuesday I again treated the water with metroplex and fed the fish hex shield. The fish ate the hex shield.

Wednesday the fish would not eat the hex shield. Fed it twice through out the day and had to siphon it out both times.

Thursday I fed the hex shield again and the fish would not eat it. So instead of just treating the water with metroplex I soaked flake food in water with it. I used a full tank dose in the mixture. The fish ate this mixture with the sajica sometimes spitting it out.

Friday I did not try the hex shield any more. I fed a metroplex half dose mixture twice. Used some frozen blood worms and flakes. Fish ate this with the sajica spitting some of it out.

Saturday I did the same as Friday with the same results.

I did not treat anymore after that and by Wednesday I had normal poops and the sajica was not spitting any food out.

Everyone seems healthy at this time and my cycle was not affected.

Will this have caused any permanent damage to the fish? The rotkeil has shown decent growth since I have had it but the sajica is still only around 3/4" and I have had both going on 2 months I think.
I don’t believe has any long term affects, the meds atleast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store