Sick Flowerhorn

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Hi everyone. I have a friend who has a sick Flowerhorn. I would like to know if anyone has any idea's of how she can help him. Thank you,

So my poor flowerhorn Fred is very ill. Sunday morning I woke up to him with a banged up KOK and a swollen eye. I am assuming he got startled and smashed into the glass. We had my sister and her family for the weekend and he isn’t used to people walking by his tank at night.

I immediately did a 70% water change. Monday his eye was worse and then his other eye started to swell. I did another 50% water change put some epsom salt and dosed Kanaplex into the tank. Well it’s now Tuesday and he looks even worse. I just got done with another 50% water change.

Tank-75 gallon
Filtration- ac110, sunsun304b, huge sponge filter.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5

Temp-82

Weekly water changes are 50-70% temp matched

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Hi Dawn. Lots of FH people out there and hopefully they will chime in. Any pics? Sure it's not related to disease?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I might try dropping the temp some. to between 75 to 79 to slow any bacteria infection that may be happening. other than that what you are doing all sounds right on.

Reactions: tlindsey

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I might try dropping the temp some. to between 75 to 79 to slow any bacteria infection that may be happening. other than that what you are doing all sounds right on.
Thanks a lot Greg!!! I appreciate your help. I will tell her.

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Ouch sorry to see that Dawn, indeed your friend's FH probably was spooked and smashed into some thing(s) once or twice. In regards to the kok damage that doesn't seem overly bad imho, it should heal by itself OK with good, clean water parameters etc.

About the eye I have to be honest in saying I really can't say for sure what's going on there, it could just be temporarily swollen due to the impact. Personally I would wait a day or two to see it got better after any possible internal or external swelling hopefully has gone down.

Hoping too that someone with more injury treatment knowledge will chime in with better advice.

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Ouch sorry to see that Dawn, indeed your friend's FH probably was spooked and smashed into some thing(s) once or twice. In regards to the kok damage that doesn't seem overly bad imho, it should heal by itself OK with good, clean water parameters etc.

About the eye I have to be honest in saying I really can't say for sure what's going on there, it could just be temporarily swollen due to the impact. Personally I would wait a day or two to see it got better after any possible internal or external swelling hopefully has gone down.

Hoping too that someone with more injury treatment knowledge will chime in with better advice.
Thanks Barrett. I appreciate your help. I will let her know.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oliver had an issue with his eye a month or so back. Not this severe, but it bulged out and had lots of hazing going on. White and green, it was alarming to me.

All I did was add salt and fin level water changes often. It didn’t heal over night, but you’d never know it happened now:)

I hope your friends fh heals up without any complications.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store