Sick Goldfish

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
If you just got them, a lot of these issues are part of the quarantine process until things get sorted out. Shipping is rough on them, especially if not packed well.

Those white spots are common on fancy goldfish…it’s likely dead cells on the wen where there isn’t enough blood flow. It goes away with clean water and time.

Dropsy could be genetic but also caused by bad water conditions, over feeding, or feeding the wrong foods, or feeding when it’s very cold. It could be a lot of things.

Do lots and lots of water changes, get water into the mid 70’s, add salt, and go easy on the feedings until things settle.

Also, ethics is up to you. They’ve been breed for these traits for 100’s of years and it’s not going to stop anytime soon. They are just animal that have special care requirements like English Bulldogs. They snore, are extra gaseous, and get infections between skin folds if not wiped often. You don’t ever have to own an English Bulldog or breed them but those that do, they enjoy them and put the extra care into raising them.
I'll hold off on feeding them. I feed them a mix of. Hikari, Fluval bug bites, and I got some other brand I can't remember as well some fresh veggies. I'll get the temp up too. I keep my place at 64° F and there's no heater in the tank. I already have salt in the tank and do twice weekly water changes, but I'll increase those.
As far as their health goes, I've had goldfish in the past when I was young and ignorant and didn't take proper care of them, and never had these kinds of issues, they lived for years, so that's why it's so concerning to me. But I really like these little guys. They're so stinking CUTE and derpy. I really don't want to lose them.

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
I just wanted to thank all of you guys for the awesome help you gave me.
Since the antibiotics, my little goldfish are doing so much better. The one with dropsy isn't getting better, but he hasn't gotten worse and is still active and acting normal.
I added a heater and got the temperature up to 72° f and they seem a lot more lively.
Nobody else has shown any signs of illness. I have also increased water changes to every other day.

I've decided not to breed them at the moment. The only male I have is the one with dropsy, so I plan on getting a different, hopefully healthier, male or two for breeding, and this guy can live his life out as a full time pet instead.

Once again, thank you guys so very much for the help, I really appreciate it ?

Scrappy71113

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Update:

Well, the little guy with dropsy passed away yesterday. Everyone else is doing fine though. Bigger tank fell through. Found out when I went to pick it up that it was used for mice and the seals were chewed and the seams looked really bad.
So new plan. I'm converting one of my old 55s to a sump to increase water volume until I can get my hands on a bigger tank.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store