Aug 17, 2005
USA
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every month
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Howdy,

I just got some 2'' gulpers 4 weeks ago. They arrived with high ammonia in the shipping water but seemed to do fine once acclimated. Fins were a bit torn and I thought some had ammonia burns on their skins. Fast-forward 2 weeks and the fish appear fine. Check out my thread -->here<-- A few days later, two of them developed white patches on their skin (decidedly not ich. Not spots but patches). I separated these two and transferred them into a 10 gal hospital tank.

Rookie mistake: I should have not put the fish straight into their dedicated 75 gal tank (albeit a species tank) when I received them. They should've gone into one of my smaller tanks for quarantine and observation.

Anyhow, starting on November 6th, I treated the hospital tank as well the main tank with 7 tablespoon salt/10 gal to nuke whatever it is (I know, hefty dose). The fish in the main 75 gal are all fine, growing, eating like champs. Looks like they didn't get whatever the two others have. Today I changed 90% water to cut down on salt content. After all, the Orinoco River has been reported at a conductivity of 6-10 mS/cm ... I figure chronic high salt isn't good for them.

The two others do eat, but not much, and they remain sickly. After salt for 6 days didn't have much of an effect, I started the 10 gal tank on melafix + pimafix. That was 5 days ago. I figured it might not help, but at least it's also not expected to hurt. I did that in addition to the salt that was already in the water. The patches have morphed into welts or pimples. Still not like any ich I've ever seen. And besides, I know to be wary of ich meds with catfish. Today I conducted a 90% water change to cut down on salt (10 days are enough) and only resumed treatment with melafix + pimafix (hence the foam in one pic - I am aerating well)

Here's what the fish look like, one looks better than the other.

I'm at my wit's end. Considering salt dips. Open and grateful for others' thoughts.
image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage4.jpeg

This one here is doing much better, only some areas behind the mouth and behind the pectoral fins are affected. This gulper also has a malformation of the mouth (see thread linked above), it is missing the center bone section of the lower jaw.

image3.jpeg
Thank you,
HarleyK

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
To my eye these features look like slime accumulations / balls. If this was so, IDK what it'd point to, other than inhospitable water but your other gulpers being fine refutes this. So it is not water or a water switch from their prior water to yours... if the others are fine (how many?).

My problem was long term for my gulpers except one which died soon after I brought 7 from Rod/PF last Nov. The rest had to do with the thiaminase and B1 deficiency, as my very recent experience, yet to be announced and publicized, indicates.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Deadeye Deadeye thank you both for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.

I have seven little gulpers total. Five are growing and healthy. Some have started to take cut-up frozen silversides. All have tummies full of Endlers.

I’ll see how this develops.
HarleyK

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It seems to have to do with the origin / vendor / exporter - two of 7 came compromised / infected / with a pathogen inside, etc.? I can't come up with any other reason given what you report.

I'd send Rodrigo evidence that 5 thrive, eat and play, and two died and ask him
-- how his have been doing at the store and
-- what he has heard from others who bought these and
-- ask him to replace two for free.

To me this seems fair. I'd point him to this thread too and your other gulper thread and state you are open and honest and hiding nothing but reporting diligently as things develop. These are not too expensive anyway, like $30-$40 right?

Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
These are extremely interesting fish that I'd love to try keeping...but has anyone, anywhere actually had success with them? It seems as though a fair number of them die very quickly, while others may linger on for a few months or years...but are there any reports of true longterm success? Say, anything over a couple years?

I have seen these in person only twice; on both occasions I scurried into the LFS when they listed them, only to find myself looking at very listless, poorly balanced and sickly-looking fish. I wouldn't have bought them even if they were generally thought of as hardy and easy-to-keep; certainly didn't consider wasting time/money/effort on the ones I saw.

I would expect catfish in this size range to have expected lifespans well in excess of ten years...so, how about it? Anybody kept a Gulper for even two years?

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store