Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Sick jewel cichlid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Ariel_Saxon, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon MFK Members

Ariel Saxon
      Oct 11, 2018
      One of my breeder jewel CICHLIDS looks like his gill is inflamed only on one side. I know it's hurting him pretty bad because I've never seen him this red before, not even when breeding or guarding his brood! It looks like it went down a little bit but he's still not eating. I did two water changes in the past four days as I had an algae outbreak and a mild ammonia spike which is when this started. All other fish are fine and he's swimming around and isn't acting like he's in the process of dieing, however the not eating part could lead to that if the pain doesn't stress him out too much first! I'm picking up a ten gallon to put him in to make treating him easier but don't have any clue what's going on. I tried getting a picture but he wouldn't cooperate. Does anyone have any ideas and I will try to get a picture as soon as he allows.

2. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Today at 9:51 AM
      How old is he? Possibly the ammonia affected him more than the others.

3. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon MFK Members

Ariel Saxon
      Oct 11, 2018
      He's the same age as the others. He's part of one of my breeding pairs and I have a trio that took up together but they've been breeding for a year now. I'll see if he will let me get a picture of it this time. They are in a huge tank so they grew pretty fast.

tlindsey likes this.
    4. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon MFK Members

Ariel Saxon
      Oct 11, 2018
      He kept moving so I couldn't get a good picture of it from the back but in some pictures you can see the pink tissue sticking out where it's inflamed especially above his black spot and another shows an idea of how far out the gill sticks out. I've got medicine for just about anything but I've never seen or dealt with this before.

Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-41-37.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-41-17.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-40-37.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-40-16.png Effect_20180812_144319.jpg

5. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.

Yes I can see what your talking about. Is he breathing normal like the other jewels?

6. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon MFK Members

Ariel Saxon
      Oct 11, 2018
      He seems to be breathing enough to be alive and swimming around but you can tell he's stressing. He seems to breath a little heavier than the others and I do know he's not eating which really worries me. The tissue went down a little bit but slowly and I'm worried he will starve before it heals completely or may need assistance to heal the rest of the way.

7. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon MFK Members

Ariel Saxon
      Oct 11, 2018
      It's only the one gill and I've been able to observe close enough to know there isn't anything visible to the eye such as an injury or parasites. There's something going on that I can't visibly see besides the swollen tissue.

8. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      I personally would just keep the water pristine. Hopefully the inflammation of the gill will get better and the Jewel will start to eat again.

Matteus and Ariel_Saxon like this.
    9. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon MFK Members

Ariel Saxon
      Oct 11, 2018
      Sounds good. I'm still gonna move him to another tank so other fish won't bother him! Thank you for your opinion on the issue!

Matteus and tlindsey like this.
    10. Matteus

Matteus MFK Members

Matthew
      Today at 1:22 AM
      I’m not an expert, but from what I do know about jewels, is that they are extremely aggressive, especially when breeding is in their plans. Almost all the literature I have read about them says that if you have a pair breeding, that they will often kill other jewels in the tank. You said they were in a big tank, how big? I’m just wondering if you may have gotten away from territorial/spawning squabbles because of the size of the tank. Then one day this guy may have wandered a bit too far into another pair’s territory and got a bite on the gill?

I agree with @tlindsey@tlindsey on keeping water pristine, if you can dose with some salt and keep an eye on it. Just my thoughts.

Ariel_Saxon and tlindsey like this.