Sick ray, need help

Jurassak

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
May 14, 2019
United States
www.facebook.com
Hey one of my big breeder females stopped eating. I’m aware of the normal concerns of water quality and mating pressure and have addressed those. I’m wondering if anyone has any oddball thoughts?

She’s a pure black diamond, and has lost a lot of weight and her skin is kinda graying out and splotchy. The change to her appearance and luster is what’s making me thing there’s something else going on. I’ve tried to take pics but there’s no way to do it justice, so hopefully if you’ve experienced such a thing before you’ll just know what I’m talking about. Thanks!!

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Is she by herself or still in a community tank? Are any other fish showing odd signs in this same system? How long has she stopped eating and how long has her appearance been off? The appearance could just be a secondary effect of not eating.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
If she is a breeder is she currently gravid?
Either way sounds like classic stress to me, but pics and a little more info would help.
Flukesolve and warmer temps and separate her for a while until she eats. Offer some earth worms. If she doesn't take those you know you have a bigger problem.

Reactions: Matteus and kno4te

Jurassak

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
May 14, 2019
United States
www.facebook.com
I want to thank you two for your responses. She passed last night amidst a lot of other turmoil (power outages, sick dog and on and on) so I didnt get back here until now. She was gravid, found about 15 eggs developing. Most notably her liver looked infected. My exotics vet was out of the office today, but him and I were chatting yesterday and will be again Friday. Once I have a good answer to cause of death I'll post it here for the archives with a few pics.

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus and deeda

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com