Sick robertsoni..stumped on this one

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
About 3 weeks ago my old robertsoni stopped eating and started swimming funny (see pic). She is swimming vertically. I did notice some larger white pits forming, so I treated her for HITH. She is healing up from the HITH and is eating now. But she really struggles to find the food. With HITH, I have never seen any fish swimming like this. Something else is wrong
Any ideas? I have her in my hospital tank.

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It looks like a swimming bladder issue, which could be caused by a bacterial infection. I had a peacock bass, which was tilted with the head up and trouble swimming. I figured it was swimming bladder issue. I treated with Methylene Blue, Seachem Kanaplex, and Epsom salt (1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons) for 1 week. The fish was not fed during this period.

Reactions: cichlidfish

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Sorry to see she's not doing so well Steve.
I know you have had that fish a long time.
Do you think it could be just old age?
I can't remember how old you said she is but I seem to recall you saying she was 11 years old.
Maybe her swim bladder has given up.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
I would tag RD in to the thread,he may be your best bet for a diagnosis.
Good luck.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks everyone :)

I've had her for 11 years, so she maybe a little older. Swim bladder infection makes sense.

RD. RD. -For any suggestions on as Darren suggested.

Rocksor Rocksor -thanks for the treatment info. I have epsom salt now. I can start that. I just did a water change.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Close to as old as me! Hope it recovers from this :(

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agree with pretty much everything posted thus far. Could be old age issues, treatment for bacterial infection is also how I would proceed. Just an FYI - Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex) works best in hard water. Not sure as to what is best for softer water.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Agree with pretty much everything posted thus far. Could be old age issues, treatment for bacterial infection is also how I would proceed. Just an FYI - Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex) works best in hard water. Not sure as to what is best for softer water.
Thanks, will give this a try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store