Sick synspillium looks dusty

fahaka30331

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
atl
Hello my synspillium has clamped fins and looks dusty lethargic and seem like he trying to stratch himself (velvet disease)?. my water is fine got it checked but my ph is like 6.2.I recently took out a lot of holly rocks...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sounds like velvet, but a photo would help.
A pH of 6.2 is getting a little low, compared to the natural water where syspillum are found.
They live in areas where the pH is sometimes 8 or higher, and where the substrate is limestone. If it were me, I would have left the holy rock in the tank.

fahaka30331

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
atl
Sounds like velvet, but a photo would help.
A pH of 6.2 is getting a little low, compared to the natural water where syspillum are found.
They live in areas where the pH is sometimes 8 or higher, and where the substrate is limestone. If it were me, I would have left the holy rock in the tank.
From my reading the velvet has to be introduced I put some rosy reds in like over a month ago and some tetras also. The only big change was taking out the holly rock and did a big water change.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Rosey reds are notorious disease carriers. But any fish you didn't quarantine for at least a month could easily bring disease in.
Holey rock does not carry disease, unless it originally came from a disease ridden tank..

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
sure sounds like velvet. Treat aggressively. can be hard to eradicate!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store