SILLIEST thing you have ever done as a beginner!

crayfishlobster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Well, my son put my pacu in his community tank, mind you he was 5 he asked if "pacfish" can come play with his fish. I gave him the go ahead ... While I was sleeping. The poor fish lasted only about an hour. the wife woke me up and told me what happened. I was baffled on how he put my 11 inch pacu in his 5g tank. He and i now laugh at the experience.
Why do little kids get crazy ideas and accomplish them but in a very mysterious way.

crayfishlobster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
5 gallon tank, no filter, piece of drift wood that took up 50% of the swimming space, 6 white clouds and 2 common goldfish. Somehow, the goldies survived (though stunted) and got upgraded to a "big tank" (15 gallons lol). Had them for 6 years.
Same but no driftwood but 2 common goldfish with 2 fancy ones too. All are still alive and I have kept them for 6 months. My dad won't get a pond in the future so i am going to sell them in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: jdjn13

jdjn13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
Same but no driftwood but 2 common goldfish with 2 fancy ones too. All are still alive and I have kept them for 6 months. My dad won't get a pond in the future so i am going to sell them in a couple of weeks.
Defininotepy a good idea selling them. Single tails are pond fish. It can be hard to see why when you buy them at 2" in the pet shop. But when you see a 12"+ beasty goldfish you start to see why.

Some of the dairy farmers I know keep goldies in their massive water troughs. The goldfish eat all the bugs and algae that grows. They have a constant supply of food and fresh water so they grow like crazy!

Reactions: GamerChick5567

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
When I was much younger, my monthly tank maintenance consisted of breaking the tank completely down and washing everything. Surprised I didn't lose more fish than I did...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
What is the silliest thing you have ever done when first starting out in the hobby?

Mine: When I first started thinking about wanting to keep fish, I started with a 10 gallon tank. My plan was to just use jugs of spring water for water changes instead of using a dechlorinator because I wanted the "purest water" for my first fish and I figured the jugs were cheap at Walmart. I didn't realize how ridiculous and impractical this was until it was time to do the first water change.
My first goldfish "Silver" developed a large bump/cyst on his side...I put him on a towel and tried to "operate" with a sewing needle I soaked in alcohol. :jaw: I thought if I opened it up then put mecurochrome on it everything would be okay. Needless to say I'm not in the medical field. I was six at the time.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Had some "big" (5-6") catfish in a 55 gallon comunitary, all my guppies and mollys would disappear outta nowhere, that infuriated me lol

Seriously, once I was moving, put all my discus in a 30g with an old canister, moved their 75g and came back the other day to pick them up, the canister flute suction cups failed, a bunch of fish, no surface movement, small tank, yup, I lost two breeding pairs and 3 more singles all at around 4-5"

crayfishlobster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
2 bettas+1 juvenile crayfish+2 2-inch goldfish+10 gallon+no filter= my first 'community tank' when i was 7. I just wanted pretty and cool-looking fish. Stupid me...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store