Silver Aro Died Suddenly

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Hey,
I’m very very sorry for your losing of such a beautiful animal. From the looks and the information you’ve given us, as well as how healthy he looked despite the loose blood in his eye, he most likely attempted to jump out. I have only ever had Black aros, but a friend of mine had two +2 footer silvers, and I’d seen them attempt to jump out right before my eyes. They can also spooke easily if there is sudden movement. From the looks of your tank, I see nothing but ample room, so maybe there was another tank mate or one of the aros went after it. Once again, i have the least amount of aro experience here probably, but i hope this aids you in this process.
mike

skyrex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2023
Thanks Mike. Many people do not see fishes as pet worth mourning over. But as fishkeepers it really do hurt when such accident happens as much as i know that they are silly in their own way. I was really in doubt whether i might have let the water run bad that he could just go belly up. I am relief that you say he looks healthy.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Thanks Mike. Many people do not see fishes as pet worth mourning over. But as fishkeepers it really do hurt when such accident happens as much as i know that they are silly in their own way. I was really in doubt whether i might have let the water run bad that he could just go belly up. I am relief that you say he looks healthy.
Same people that don’t see fish as pets worth mourning over are the same ones with PETA shirts on and saying all animal lives matter🤷‍♂️.
Everything is learning man. Learn as much as you can as often. I learn stuff all the time, and 90% of it isn’t reading, it’s stuff that happens, that I learn from. I would still test water, as when a fish dies in one of my systems, I treat it like an investigation. At all costs, I will find what happened, which you’re doing. I test water and write it down. I call it collecting data. Nonetheless a lot of lessons in the hobby are painful growth spurts, but that is the beauty of it. Keep pushing.
mike

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yes, considering the loud noise that you mentioned, the eye damage and the abruptness of the death, it seems pretty certain that this was trauma due to jumping or perhaps smashing into a tank wall. Aros are inveterate jumpers; they jump for food, they jump when startled...they just jump. I lost a beautiful Red Wolf recently in pretty much the same way; in my case, the jumping was something I was aware of and thought that I had guarded against. Not enough, apparently; lost a unique fish that I valued highly and felt like crap afterwards. Live and learn. :(

Eboys fishies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2024
I’m so sorry for your loss when there fish like that they become part of the family if you don’twant this to happen to your other aro then you should try lowering the water level so when the fish tries to jump the impact into the lid is as bad

skyrex

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2023
Thanks for the input guys. I sincerely hope he had a good life and is in a better place now. My lid is actually loose pieces of egg crate plastic weighted down. So I am not sure if he got spooked into a tanked wall or the lid. But yeah he was like family. So it’s really sad that he’s gone now. I am left with a super red and another silver. But apparently they get along. Not sure if adding another one is an option anymore. Having arowana hardy as they are is really a daily fear of coming home and seeing them kill themselves 🤦‍♂️. I had a BBXB jump into the sump overflow and got stuck for god knows how long. Needless to say he didn’t make it after I brought him back over to the main tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store