silver Arowana tank mates

Nickieb270

Feeder Fish
Aug 9, 2019
Hey guys, i purchased a silver arowana over a month ago and he is about 7" now so still juvenile. I have him/her in a 75 gal tank for now, and im quite aware that i will need to upgrade soon. Today i purchased an Oscar that is about 8-9" so about the size of my hand and larger than the Aro. i did my research to see if they are compatible and all i can find is information saying to make sure the oscar isnt big enough to not get eaten by the Aro. i could not find anything in regards to weather or not the oscar could be harmful to the Arowana, seeing that the oscar is larger than the Aro. I have heard splashing in the water when im not looking at the tank, but when i turn around the Aro is trying to jump out of the water and swim real fast as to try and get away from the Oscar. Is it a bad idea to leave the oscar in the tank? I like the Oscar but i value the Aro more and dont want him to get killed by the Oscar. any tips, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated -Thanks :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
From what you said it sounds like you need a bigger tank now... a 75G for an aro and oscar is asking for trouble, especially if both are over 7” in length...

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d separate the fish as the Oscar maybe going after the ark. Once the arowana is much bigger then the Oscar should leave it alone. Cover the tank as the fish will jump out. Yes, need to upgrade ur tanks ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store