silver dat questions

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
Heya All:

I just come across some tiny silver dats (Datnioides quadrifasciatus I think.) at the LFS. They are about 1-1.5 inches and are going for about $17. Is that a decent price? Its the first time I've seen some in person. I was thinking about getting one.

The ones in the tank also don't have clear dark bars like the pictures i've seen with the adult or bigger ones online. They are visable - but not as solid. Will this also change when they grow older?

I was also wondering if it would be ok to keep one solo? I've did a search and read some of the older post indicating a trio might be a better idea. I've never had one before, so I'd like to try my hand at raising one first. What do you guys think?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Silver dats bars, like other dats, become more defined as they mature. The main thing with silver dats is that these are true brackish water fish requiring a moderately high pH and marine salts. Kept solo, they tend to be shy and reclusive. While they're not a schooling fish, they do better, and are more relaxed, in shoals. If maintained, they should be kept singly or in groups of 3 or more. Trying to maintain a pair will result in a dominant individual focusing all its aggression on the non-dominant individual. Young ones can be fed live or frozen foods and can occassionally be trained onto prepared foods such as pellets and crumbles. Out of 4 that I'm raising, only one is taking crumble foods. The others watch it sink but, haven't decided to try it yet.
An lfs price of $17 is about average. You can find cheaper prices but, shipping adds another big chunk to the bill.

Taboojen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Calif.
Oddball: Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it! I think I'll pick some up. The LFS has them in freshwater (not brackish water). I think I will introduce them to my freshwater tank, which I will slowly convert to brackish over time. Hope that'll provide the juvi dats with less stress. I wonder if they get along with scats. I saw some silver scats that were really nice too. lol This poor student will need to get another job soon. doh.

I'm glad I can put some of my reef tank supplies to use now! :) [ie- Salts and crushed coral] lol.

If anyone has any experiences keeping these silver tigers(dats), I'd love to hear it about!

Oddball;594065; said:
Silver dats bars, like other dats, become more defined as they mature. The main thing with silver dats is that these are true brackish water fish requiring a moderately high pH and marine salts. Kept solo, they tend to be shy and reclusive. While they're not a schooling fish, they do better, and are more relaxed, in shoals. If maintained, they should be kept singly or in groups of 3 or more. Trying to maintain a pair will result in a dominant individual focusing all its aggression on the non-dominant individual. Young ones can be fed live or frozen foods and can occassionally be trained onto prepared foods such as pellets and crumbles. Out of 4 that I'm raising, only one is taking crumble foods. The others watch it sink but, haven't decided to try it yet.
An lfs price of $17 is about average. You can find cheaper prices but, shipping adds another big chunk to the bill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store