Silver Datnoids longterm in freshwater?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 should be your best adviser.

You appear to have read my thread "What kind is my lonely datnoid?". I only ever had one silver dat. While it grew to 13" I failed to keep it longer than 4-5 years of age in freshwater. Every bit of knowledge I could offer you that I gained from my experience would have been deposited in my thread already.

I don't do plants, so nothing can say there.

I believe the age at which the fish is collected from the wild brackish water in south and southeast Asia has no bearing on how it will or will not adjust to the pure freshwater life and I also believe it won't live long in freshwater.

If you are an idealist and perfectionist or if you have an extremist-minded animal lover living with you under the same roof, I'd say don't get it... or rather don't ever get any pets, haha.... If you are an experimentalist and a learner, I don't see why not get it. Especially if you make up a thread on it and update it regularly with timeworthy info and visuals, both good and bad, and teach us all and many more to come...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Low end brackish isn't too difficult to do, and less picky than full saltwater. It's worth a shot!

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 should be your best adviser.

You appear to have read my thread "What kind is my lonely datnoid?". I only ever had one silver dat. While it grew to 13" I failed to keep it longer than 4-5 years of age in freshwater. Every bit of knowledge I could offer you that I gained from my experience would have been deposited in my thread already.

I don't do plants, so nothing can say there.

I believe the age at which the fish is collected from the wild brackish water in south and southeast Asia has no bearing on how it will or will not adjust to the pure freshwater life and I also believe it won't live long in freshwater.

If you are an idealist and perfectionist or if you have an extremist-minded animal lover living with you under the same roof, I'd say don't get it... or rather don't ever get any pets, haha.... If you are an experimentalist and a learner, I don't see why not get it. Especially if you make up a thread on it and update it regularly with timeworthy info and visuals, both good and bad, and teach us all and many more to come...
Thanks for your incite! Next time I go to my lfs I will consider getting it and hopefully offer something meaningful about this species in the future!

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Low end brackish isn't too difficult to do, and less picky than full saltwater. It's worth a shot!
Lol def! My only concern is that I want to keep the plants alive so maybe I’ll get another large tank and keep a brackish system!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
As guys said above, freshwater plants are incompatible with brackish and salt water. That much I've heard enough to say that I know it. Don't ask me any details.

Some of my friends who keep both plants and fish say plants are harder...

Reactions: Rayfishowner

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lol def! My only concern is that I want to keep the plants alive so maybe I’ll get another large tank and keep a brackish system!
Some plants can be converted to brackish water, like valisneria. It takes time to convert.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
It’s a belief Silver Datnoids thrive best with Salinity in the tank. Long term in a Captivity. They inhabit the some of the same body of water with brackish archer species when younger. You’ll see them on YouTube and caught with Indos too in most of the Indonesian islands.

I’ve personally grown a few out to 11” with very little salinity in the past. Have one now at about 11.5” and I maintain a 1.25 cup per gallon - water softener. 40lb bag $6. Natural sodium Chloride, NaCl

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
You should read into some of the stuff Wes (Rare Fish) has posted about brackish fish. They seem well thought out and explains that it isnt so much the salt as the minerals and elements commonly found in brackish water that make certain fish require it. Might help a bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store