Silver Dollar swimming in an odd manner

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
'lo again, i recently bought 3 SDs and added them into the tank along with 2 smaller SDs i had before from another tank. So, everything is goin well except one of the smaller SDs arent swimming properly, its swimming mainly using its tail fin, yesterday it started, todays its a lot more. at first i thought it was due to some problem with the fins, now im thinking swim bladder disease... if so, i might have been overfeeding, what are my best options?
thanks

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Here be some I took now, I don’t have a water heater anymr and I don’t know what else to do, tried to get it into another container with low water level but it’d just lie flat on the water surface after sometime.

DB2C7890-4051-4442-BEB9-158E6770ACB1.jpeg

54EF0C23-04E0-4EB2-A9C4-402375ACE319.jpeg

FD175B20-5099-4DFD-AC49-D065A0587242.jpeg

1CAD5DB9-95D7-481C-B614-5F371E457B25.jpeg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
With the info available, it seems almost impossible to determine what happened or what to do. I would simply continue to observe it, and realize that it will most likely die soon. I would be ready to take it out immediately after clearly dead.
I would not try to take it out to put it in a small container, as I think the stress and inability of offering stable conditions will outweigh the likelihood of benefit. Unless it is being thrown about by a powerful flow, in which case, I would try to mitigate that external source of stress.

On second thought, and assuming there is little hope of survival, one could take it out and treat it with Epsom salt. There is a chance that somehow much of the problem is air trapped in the bladder or digestive system. In such case, I believe salts may help, but I don't know the suggested dosage and duration, the former obviously depending in total volume in container/tank.

Sorry this is happening. Good luck!

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
With the info available, it seems almost impossible to determine what happened or what to do. I would simply continue to observe it, and realize that it will most likely die soon. I would be ready to take it out immediately after clearly dead.
I would not try to take it out to put it in a small container, as I think the stress and inability of offering stable conditions will outweigh the likelihood of benefit. Unless it is being thrown about by a powerful flow, in which case, I would try to mitigate that external source of stress.

On second thought, and assuming there is little hope of survival, one could take it out and treat it with Epsom salt. There is a chance that somehow much of the problem is air trapped in the bladder or digestive system. In such case, I believe salts may help, but I don't know the suggested dosage and duration, the former obviously depending in total volume in container/tank.

Sorry this is happening. Good luck!
well, most certainly i have been lucky, i think.. before sleepin i added a tablespoon of salt thinkin it be better than nothin, and in the morning, its all cured, just as it was before.. lol.
and yes though it did seem like air trapped inside bladder or somethin, it would try to swim downbut come back up again, floating way.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Dose some epsom salt 3 tsbp per 5g. Add some kanamycin and prazipro. Keep tank cycled and nitrates below 20ppm. Update as it goes.

Reactions: deeda

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Seems like a swim bladder problem
Yes seemed so to me too.
Dose some epsom salt 3 tsbp per 5g. Add some kanamycin and prazipro. Keep tank cycled and nitrates below 20ppm. Update as it goes.
I didn’t have that specific salt type so I just used table salt… don’t if that would be any difference though. No worries much now though as the fish is cured, though fer future ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store