Silver gar/rocket gar

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Hi

I just bought 4 silver gar for my 60g and i want to get them off live feeders, i only have them for two weeks. I tried not feeding them for one week and i put some tilapia fillet but no success. They are about 1"1/2-2" big. One was so skinny that i had to buy small guppies for them to eat. But im willing to try starving them again.

My question is
1. How long before they give in and accept tilapia?
2. What kind of floating pellet i can give them?
3. Once they accepted tilapia and pellet how often they should be feed?

Thank you for the responed:)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have had success with a power head and floating carnisticks. It'll take a week or 2. Mine took about 2 weeks. Other times I had other trainer fish and they learned quick.

It's tough at that size cause they are wild caught. They were fed guppies at the lfs, in sure.

I usually use carnisticks. Soak them and then cut them into strips. Throw them in front of the power head. They will chase and maybe give up but will evenetually take. Can do this with tilapia as well.

Can give carnisticks, tubifex, and flakes, and any other floating pellet.

Feed them daily till they are about 4-5 inches. Make sure the bellies have reduced. Once at the halfway mark their growth will plateau and feed about every other day.

Provide floating plants which I remember u have.

Plenty of patience.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Other option is to use small crickets. This will increase the likelihood to strike. Mix in some pieces of floating food and then eventually switch to prepared foods. This was advised by chixclub and it worked as well.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I assume these are hujetas right Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 ?

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store