Siniperca Scherzeri - Leopard / Korean Perch

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I had heard that they prefer cooler water temperatures.Mine is in an unheated tank right now and the temp is mid seventies.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
I had heard that they prefer cooler water temperatures.Mine is in an unheated tank right now and the temp is mid seventies.
Yeah my Korean perch is currently being kept in 80-82 degrees and is doing great. I was just wondering how everyone's experience is going since they prefer cooler waters. Thanks, keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
they are very popular food fish here in china , quite good tasting too . Always available live in the fish section of every supermarket and open market along with northern snakehead etc
Wish we had it like that here, I'd just go down to the local market; grab one from the live section and throw one in my tank. One of my exes used to take me down to places in china town in Manhattan that sold live fish. If I remember correctly I saw some really big Barramundi there, I was tempted to actually pick up a Barra but they didn't look too hot so I wasn't sure about trying to take one home with me.

Can I ask many sites have the Scherzeri's max length at around 12 inches/1foot/30.4 cm but I've seen pics of them where they look like they're about 24 inches/2 feet/60.90 cm what size are they sold in the market?

They must be aggressive towards fish that look similar. My Korean perch is well behaved with all of my fish and it could be because my tank has no hiding places and is bare bottom.
But I agree, I love the streamlined shape and patterns of the Korean perch. I would also love to add a chuatsi to my tank if someone brings them in. It was easy to pellet train, just starve and be patient. I also forgot ask you guys the temperature you guys are keeping the Korean perches in?
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Mine are aggressive no matter what the other fish looks like it seems. Electric Blue Acaras are fairly different body wise as are my Ptychromis with maybe my Pike being closest in shape but they give chase to all of them. Though through tragedy it seems they may have been chasing the cichlids driven by predatory instincts. I had a breeding pair of Electric Blue Acaras and just moments ago I found my Scherzeri No No(the one in all the pics) dead with hyper extended gills and mouth with my female Electric Blus Acara caught in his mouth. The Scherzeri was dead but the Acara still alive. I removed the Acara and moved her to another tank as well as her mate though I don't know if she'll make it. She was 5 inches and the Scherzeri was 6-7 inches max, I didn't think he;d go after her since so far I had to save several Tetragonopterus from the Scherzeri but they showed no signs of trying to eat the Acaras. The only thing was my Acaras would go head to head with the Scherzeri flaring gills at each other till the male would eventually drive off the Scherzeri.

I'm truly bummed and mad as I haven't lost a fish for quite some time and am kicking myself. I had set up a new tank and moved all the fish I thought the Scherzeri would look at as prey and still wound up missing something. It really irks me because all I can hear is my father in the back of my head "every time you've got a nice set up where no ones killing each other and you haven't lost any fish you go and buy some fish and completely screw things up". That plus the fact that I just got the Scherzeri is really making me kick myself for losing such a cool fish in such a short period of time.

As for temps the remaining 2 where being kept at around 86 degrees but seemed stressed(rapid gill movements) so I decreased the temp to 82 and they seem fine now. I know I keep my tanks too warm but thus far it's worked for me. I don't ever see outbreaks in disease(knock on wood) and they don't seem to suffer from stress from the additional heat so I've leave it at around 86 most of the time.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Dang kolt these are my favorite exotic perch, the streamline shape and pattern is just sweet. However I don't think I'd be able to justify to my dad spending hundreds of dollars on a little brown fish is okay lol. Sorry to hear about the one that choked on the other one. Hope the comm turns out well for ya man!!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks man! And hey you never know, maybe if you show your dad some of my pics he'd give the Scherzeri a look and wind up picking one up. Wes still has some Scherzeri as well as some other stuff that he's yet to re list.

Yeah it really bummed me out as the Scherzeri that died was my fave of the trio. Had great colors and was easy to photograph and always in view. Still I got lucky that the Electric Blue Acara female lived and seems to be recouping well. She was a breeding female and I lucked out on her survival. Since moving the EBA's out the comm. seems to be doing better, keeping my fingers crossed.(and knocking on wood)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store