Sitting on the Fence;Canon 550D vs. Nikon D90?

stan chung

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Real Name
Stan Chung
Occupation
Freelance Director
550D looks more tempting because of HD and all the extra new features with a newer camera. The D90 is set to be replaced sometime in August I think.[from Nikon Rumours]

Being a D90 user myself and an early adopter I'm very pleased with it's performance so far except for the video that I hardly use.

If you like the D90- wait- as the price is dropping and it's off a lot of online stores as well. I'm hoping there's going to be 1080HD for the new release.

As for the Canon-it's got 1080HD but the quality's not as good as the 7D according to some reviews on the net.

Picture wise I can't tell the difference between either the N or C.

RDTigger

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
May 28, 2009
US
Played with both at Best Buy the other day. The feel is night and day as the Nikon has a solid build while the Canon is mostly plastic and cheapy in the hand. Like a kids camera.

The specs are off the charts but it doesn't necessarily "look" like a $1000 once you add lenses.

stan chung

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Real Name
Stan Chung
Occupation
Freelance Director
Uhm- never liked the plasticky builds of the lower range cameras from all brands! LOL
But the premium is price and weight. Some like their cameras light and tiny.

bulldogg7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
north carolina
www.bullmanphoto.com
If you really need video, it might be better to buy a video camera for that. With canons you're limited to 12 minute clips (I think), easy to overheat the sensor and start getting hot pixels if you continue. The T2i is claimed by some to exceed the 50D as far as IQ and AF but it's still plastic and still has the "rebel controls" and only 3.7fps. The 50D is magnesium and somewhat weather sealed and not much more $$$ about 6.5fps even in RAW. If you must have video and 18mp then the 7D is Canon's best bang for the buck with 8fps. Fps isn't really important for fish and everyday stuff, but with sports the extra speed comes in handy.
I'm clueless on Noinks tho, but if it only means a couple hundred bucks for something you'll be happy with it's worth the wait, rather than be stuck with something just a little under what you'd hoped for.

p.s.
Don't skimp on a cheap tripod, I almost dropped my 50D in a river with a $20 tripod:redface: Luckily, I kept the strap around my neck because I didn't trust it.

stan chung

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Real Name
Stan Chung
Occupation
Freelance Director
Agree on the tripod! Just go straight for the good one. Buying a few so so tripods would = a great one anyway.

Life's too short to nitpick on the stuff you hardly use anyway. My camera's on manual aperture and shutter 99% of the time!

Get the one you like best and start shooting! [and stop seeing camera reviews/sales for at least 3 months after!]LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store