size potential for golieth tiger fish

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
have a 800 gallon tank that's 8'x5'x 32" tall. also has a 170 gallon sump.
No one is going to be able to answer that question with certainty. Some member have grown them to two feet in smaller aquariums than what you have. Most lose them to them killing themselves. There are folks have that grown them to 3+ ft in Asia.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I guess they kill themselves by bashing into the glass?
Exactly. The 3' massive ones in Asia are also in huge pools or ponds etc from what I see. But I agree with nzafi. Thing is you put in a smaller tank it can't stretch out so it isn't as skittish in return because it knows it'll hit something where as in a larger tank it loses that sense and will dart more. The more it darts the likelihood of its death being sooner rather than later increases. So it's kind of like keep it inhumanly if you can't provide something incredibly massive, harshly put.

wrestler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
delaware
wow that sucks because I was thinking about raising one by it self, hoping to grow it to a massive size I don't have anything small than a 300

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If it will be alone you may be alright but I'd suggest some dithers while small which will help it feel secure and also help it to eat

Tim the fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Exactly. The 3' massive ones in Asia are also in huge pools or ponds etc from what I see. But I agree with nzafi. Thing is you put in a smaller tank it can't stretch out so it isn't as skittish in return because it knows it'll hit something where as in a larger tank it loses that sense and will dart more. The more it darts the likelihood of its death being sooner rather than later increases. So it's kind of like keep it inhumanly if you can't provide something incredibly massive, harshly put.
I was wondering why you never see this fish in a public aquirium. Are they hard to keep alive?

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
From what I've heard, most fishkeepers said their GATF killed themselves after reached 2' by smashing its face into the glass. Big ones are either live in either HUGE glass tank or small pond. Some able to keep it in community but you need feeders swimming around and every ATFs need to be in full.

I have one 16" GATF in 280g tank, here are information I could share:

1. The tank should be at least 72" x 30" x 30" for ONE.
- GATF will always swim around and in some case, darting around when it was spooked. Having huge tank decreased odds of killing itself darting into the wall.

2. For long term care, there can be ONE or NONE ATF.
- For some odd reasons, when ATF reached around 10", they became territorial and became aggressive towards everything it could eat or kinda look like them.
- If kept in shoals, be ready for bite marks/ broken fins on weaker ATFs.
- I lost a 14" to then 13" GATF. Never trust this thing. Ever.

3. Please use black sticker on 4 sides.
- This gives your fish "indications" about how much farther it could go.
- Not to mention it made your ATF felt secured.

4. It needs tank mates, but make sure you have non-aggressive ones.
- I have trouble with Bala Shark/ Insignis/ whatever they are, except Albino Tinfoil Barbs and Red Tail Barbs, they went along with GATF nicely.
- If tank mates show any signs of aggression towards GATF, you may want to remove it fast.

4. Use Wavemaker for tank circulation, if possible.
- My GATF hates Powerhead for some reason. End up loving giant Wavemaker.
- ATF came from area with strong current. A small flow will calm it. Not too strong though.

5. There should be a distance between the tank and people walking around.
- Getting too close to the tank/ knocking/ touching/ suddenly appear in front of it may be the cause of your ATF's death. 'Nuff said.
- This is also why black sticker on 4 sides helps.
- Some big GATF may not be spooked so easily but better safe than sorry.

6. If possible, pick the best one from LSF.
- It may be not possible for many, but my last GATF is the one I picked from the herd at LSF. Got him at 4". I chose a big, healthy one which ate feeders already and not just suddenly darting away from my hand. It also has the most calm personality.

Hope that helps. Today mine spooked only when I try to catch something from the tank or suddenly light a flashlight into it. Trying to prolong his time as much as possible though.

Last edited:

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Very informative!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store