Skittish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Glad to hear. Other than the addition of the plants (and of new tank mates), has anything else been implemented?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
just the plants so far.
Thinking-through how to change water without causing too much disturbance/stress/damage,
then we'll have a think about catching to relocate the loaches & red-tail shark to the 240 (also without undue stress to arowana), which has always been the plan. Eels may also move over, though they're soooo destructive that I'm not sure it's wise.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Clove oil is fish's morphine. They won't feel or remember a thing during water change and rehome.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter - dose the hole tank beforehand - brilliant idea. What's the per-gallon rate for "groggy" & how do I get rid of it afterwards?

I was going to do the "put in a bit of pipe wait untill they go to bed" thing, which has been pretty good for anything that likes to hide. Minimized in this process, but hands & nets rummaging in the tank is the issue.
For water-change, my can-filter backwashes directly to the garden but the intakes invariably take air/lose syphon... so I'm in there regardless.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I was half serious half joking but this could be done. I've never done it myself. I mean I treated our fish with clove oil but never for a WC in a small tank or some such.

If you don't know much about the use of clove oil, it's not hard but you better read up on the basics so you don't overdose, e.g. https://koivet.com/oil-of-cloves-how-to-anesthetize-or-euthanize-a-fish-or-koi/ Dr. Johnson speaks of 5 drops per gallon. I started in one recent example with 1, then 2 and observed, I don't recall how high I had gone in drops count... time, temp, etc. have their influence. I think for your purpose, you could get away with a minimum, like 0.5 drop? 1 drop?

To take the oil out after done, I removed all the water from that bare 240 gal tank where the indian shovelnose was, not like fanatically to dryness, because the total system is 2000 gal, so traces would be heavily diluted. IDK if the oil would be removed by carbon filtration, I think it should be but must find this out to be sure.

Another concern is the effect of oil and fish size. IDK anything about this but fear an underdose for bigger fish may be an overdose for smaller... although your fish appear to be of comparable sizes, that is weights, for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store