MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
4weeks cycles 120g tank new
37g current tank
4inch goldfish
15” plecog

Slow drip method?
getting a 35 gallon rubbermaid
How many gallons to start from the old tank ? (Still has fish can’t take it all)
Add fish to Rubbermaid
then set the drip to 1drop per hour until ?
Ending with y gallons?
Goldfish need a slow drip too or just the pleco?
goldie is first and has had a LOT of challenges in the old tank. VERY SENSITIVE TO DISSOLVED OXYGEN levels and worried about having him in a bucket too long

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
When I acclimate fish to a new tank I just add half a cup water every 5-10 minutes for about an hour

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
But they won’t be in a bag so if they are in this 35 gallon Rubbermaid container a gallon of water won’t even be enough to cover their gills

So what do I start with

When I acclimate fish to a new tank I just add half a cup water every 5-10 minutes for about an hour

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
Step 1: Use the Rubbermaid container and fill it half way
Step 2: Put the goldfish and pleco in there.
Step 3: Add half cup of 120 gallon water every 5-10 min for an hour.
Step 4: Net the goldfish
Step 5: Put goldfish in 120 gallon
Step 6: Get the pleco
Step 7: Put in 120 gallon

If my steps aren’t thorough, there’s plenty of videos on youtube on how to acclimate fish

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
But where does the 1/2 fill come from? Old tank water change? How is this better than just drop and plop when the tanks both have identical test parameters and 0.5 temp diff?

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
The 1/2 comes from the tank that the pleco and goldfish are in...

rigby

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2020
Both methods are fine. They both result in the fish being in the 120 gallon.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Drip acclimation is used when importing or moving sensitive fish who can't handle changes in pH or temp. Since we're talking about moving two of the hardiest fish in the hobby between tanks in your own house with the same water this is completely unnecessary IMO and will only add additional stress netting them twice. The temperature difference is most likely due to your lights and fx6 heating the water, along with the acrylic and double lids insulating the heat better than the old glass tank. I had the same style black lid and it fits tight enough where the fish shouldn't be able to jump out without additional lids blocking the openings. If the new tank is properly cycled and temps are within .5 degrees just move them.

Reactions: Red Cichlids

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Is he ok? Very worried

Drip acclimation is used when importing or moving sensitive fish who can't handle changes in pH or temp. Since we're talking about moving two of the hardiest fish in the hobby between tanks in your own house with the same water this is completely unnecessary IMO and will only add additional stress netting them twice. The temperature difference is most likely due to your lights and fx6 heating the water, along with the acrylic and double lids insulating the heat better than the old glass tank. I had the same style black lid and it fits tight enough where the fish shouldn't be able to jump out without additional lids blocking the openings. If the new tank is properly cycled and temps are within .5 degrees just move them.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Is he ok? Very worried

You’ve got some replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com