Small aulonocara species that can breed in a 40?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Just wondering if there are any, I'm thinking about breeding some next year when and if I get the money. I know most get big, but i looked into the subject a bit, and hueseri, baenschi, and maylindi are definitely on my list of possible species I might go with.
Any species suggestions for aulonocara in the 3-5 inch range? And are there any in that range that are red?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Aulonocara hueseri, kandeense, maylandi, korneliae, and chitande types have a good hance at working than most. These are all on the lower end of aggression compared to most others.

Reactions: tlindsey

Zack333

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2018
Ruby reds get 6 inches and are bright red. If you wanted red color this would probably be the best in my opinion. But if you want some mellower cichlids the kandeense/blue orchid is probably the way I'd go. But you could probably pull off the Ruby reds if there are some blocks in line of sight you don't put in too many males, in a 40 probably 2 males, and if you get them young together at 2.5 inches or so.
But the Ruby reds would be more risky so if it's your first time you might want to play it safe with some of the ones james99 mentioned

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
ah, alright, thanks for the info!
never heard of the korneliae, just looked em up, those are nice too
and yeah this'll be my first run with peacocks so I'll probably go with one of the smaller ones

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
In your other thread I mentioned a smaller hap, also look into Aulonocara ngara. Beautiful species, I used to see them win fish show awards. Males stay under 6 inches ime, often closer to 5. Mine were relatively mellow for peacocks.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Ah, i just looked up the ngara, those are really nice too
i'll consider those, thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store