Small Fire Eel help

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Just checking in. Eel still hasn't grown much at all, yet still eats the red wrigglers. Thinking of moving on from him if this continues...
You need to give these fish a lot more than just worms, as macrobrachium and neocaridina shrimp are their main diet in the wild, so giving them that will get them to grow fast, once they settle and start eating a proper diet their growth is quite fast and they also get tame.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I have put ghost shrimp in the tank, 36 to be exact, and it didn't seem to eat any. Most of them died off or got stuck in the HOB.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
RemainVayne RemainVayne any update on the fire eel?

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
RemainVayne RemainVayne any update on the fire eel?
Not much. Moved it into my 150g for more space and to break down his grow-out tank. Hadn't seen it in a while, but just saw his head pop out from driftwood during this past Monday's water change, so it's still surviving somehow...

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
What about taking long tongs or long pipette and spot feed it for the time being to see if it can start to trust you at nights. Thats what I did with hard to feed fish

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
What about taking long tongs or long pipette and spot feed it for the time being to see if it can start to trust you at nights. Thats what I did with hard to feed fish
When he wanted to eat in the 20g grow out, he would swim to the top and take worms from my son's hand. Only thing I can surmise at this point is the eel just isn't a big eater and will take a longer time to grow up.

• Wow
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

RobS

Feeder Fish
Feb 17, 2020
I have a 24" Fire Eel, he literally refuses to eat anything except for market shrimp. Although I imagine he's eat a crayfish if given a chance too. Tried him on worms many times and he refuses. Try cutting some shrimp up for your little guy and I bet he devours it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store