Small quiet filters

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
I got a 10g aquarium near my bed and I need something that's real quiet. Submersible would be a plus, don't need a very powerful one or one with lots of water movement. Any recommendations?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I got a 10g aquarium near my bed and I need something that's real quiet. Submersible would be a plus, don't need a very powerful one or one with lots of water movement. Any recommendations?
This is what I have in my flowerhorn grow out and it has no sound other than a slight humming that is incredibly hard to hear and can only hear if it’s completely quiet in the room. Hard to find filter media for so I suggest eventually adding foam, carbon and other stuff and more foam ontop to work as filter media that’s what I currently do in my 40g and it’s better than any of the slide in cotton media’s I’ve ever used. Also if you can manage to hear the humming I personally find it soothing and helps me fall asleephttps://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Tank...filter&qid=1623476088&sprefix=tetra+wh&sr=8-2

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
I don't know if these are available in the Us but these powerhead filters are very popular in asia.If you want more biological/mechanical media you can add more compartments.Most of these also have a venturi system you also get extra aeration +circulation.Almost all my tanks have atleast one of these ,they run pretty quit unless you manage to clog the powerhead some how.
boyu-power-filter.jpg

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I don't know if these are available in the Us but these powerhead filters are very popular in asia.If you want more biological/mechanical media you can add more compartments.Most of these also have a venturi system you also get extra aeration +circulation.Almost all my tanks have atleast one of these ,they run pretty quit unless you manage to clog the powerhead some how.
View attachment 1463467
Not too popular around here I only ever see them in big fish tanks at stores but never in home aquariums around my area

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
View attachment 1463467
yep one of the most common in southern Asian region.
it's so quiet you'll have to look at the water movement to see if its on.
I too have atleast one of these in the tank and generally switch these on when i leave the house for work or school as a preventive that the surface agitates even if the air pumps fail or the airline disconnects.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Maybe a sponge filter powerhead combination.
It's good but the pores are very small and tend to clog easily. If using as the primary filter that remains on 24*7 , it needs to be cleaned twice a week. If not they flow reduces. I've tried this too. Better use it with aquarium co op coarse filter ( not used it as it's not available in India) but would still be a wood filtration.

Reactions: tlindsey

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
This is what I have in my flowerhorn grow out and it has no sound other than a slight humming that is incredibly hard to hear and can only hear if it’s completely quiet in the room. Hard to find filter media for so I suggest eventually adding foam, carbon and other stuff and more foam ontop to work as filter media that’s what I currently do in my 40g and it’s better than any of the slide in cotton media’s I’ve ever used. Also if you can manage to hear the humming I personally find it soothing and helps me fall asleephttps://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Tank...filter&qid=1623476088&sprefix=tetra+wh&sr=8-2
I got one and it has a pretty loud annoying sound from the impeller. Maybe bad luck?

Any other suggestions? Dead quiet preferred.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A powerhead+cartridge filter is only as loud as the powerhead itself...which to my half-deaf ears is pretty quiet.

You could also use an air-powered sponge filter and put the pump in a remote location. As long as the air quality is good, an air pump can be in a different room, a remote corner, etc. And the only noise at the tank will be bubbles. Using an airstone deadens that noise further. I have two tanks on the main floor of my house that are fed from my central air pump in the basement fishroom.

If the airline is extremely long there us a slight loss of power and a larger pump may be required. For up to at least 10 or 15 feet you will have no problem.

Reactions: ..puSkar..
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store