Small Terrestrial piscavores?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Are there any animals that live primarily on land, but hunt in the water. Preferably one that would eat mostly fry and small fish. I was hoping for a frog or something but maybe a crab would be more likely.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Salamander

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
No turtle stays small enough for that. And what is a 20b?
I think what you want is not going to happen. What you want is either a completely separate enclosure for an animal that can eat the fry you don't want or get a small fish that can go in a 20/29 that can eat the fry. I just realized the H and B are close together so you probably meant a 20 high. Anyway, I would give up on this idea of getting a terrestrial animal and look into getting a small fish or a different animal.
What kind of fry or fish are you looking to get eaten and why?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you had stated a 20 gallon long I would have suggested African Dwarf Clawed frog.

The 29 high would be too tall and the African Dwarf Clawed Frog may struggle to get air. I agree should pass on the land piscavore.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Eastern newts? I had one and he was very fun to keep, but they are master escape artists, some times I would used to find him under my couch walking around. Would eat snails, smaller fish, bloodworms, and other stuff.

Reactions: tlindsey

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
If you had stated a 20 gallon long I would have suggested African Dwarf Clawed frog.

The 29 high would be too tall and the African Dwarf Clawed Frog may struggle to get air. I agree should pass on the land piscavore.
I did mean 20 long. But yeah idk I was just hoping something existed and figured if it did, someone here would know.

Maybe something like a fishing spider might work.

Eastern newts? I had one and he was very fun to keep, but they are master escape artists, some times I would used to find him under my couch walking around. Would eat snails, smaller fish, bloodworms, and other stuff.
This would be perfect if it stayed in the red eft stage. I would prefer it not be fully aquatic like the adult stage of that newt. Thank you though.

The reason I wanted a terrestrial animal is because I was thinking of trying to set up a small paludarium, but my wife doesn't want me bringing or breeding feeder insects. She can't handle the thought of if they broke out and we had bugs all over the house. I MAY be able to get away with one predatory bug (arachnid, insect or whatever) but if I had something that will hunt the fish, I can put guppy fry or the likes in the water portion. It's just an idea. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you really want a terrestrial animal then I’d upgrade to at least a 55 or 75 because at least then you have a few options.

Reactions: bobblehead27
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store