Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
N/A
If yes, what is your nitrate?
40-80 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I did a water change yesterday and today when I went to feed my fish dinner I noticed this weird white stuff on a small part of my glass. It is not widespread, only taking up about a 6-8" square space. I originally thought it was left over paper towel lint because that's exactly what it looks like. I've not introduced anything recently, I would say within the past 2 months, although I have stuck in some Osmocote for my suffering swords. Thinking this is some sort of algae, fungus, or parasite, but have no idea. Most pics I've found either clearly show a worm or parasite, or fuzzy fungus patch but I can't really determine what I have. Maybe it's because I've caught it early, I'm not too sure. Attached is a pic, sorry for meh quality:

IMG_20201130_175740890.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
J Johnez I can’t see enough detail in the pictures but it could be Hydra.
You may be able to tell in person and confirm or rule out.

80F1B6A8-942A-4DC3-B4D7-659AC19ED9AA.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

Johnez

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2020
Image Search Freshwater Hydra in aquarium and see if this looks similar.
Hydra is about the closest I can see. The description of a jelly like polyp seems right on. However the thread filaments in the pictures I see look very defined whereas mine seem to be just little blobs. Maybe it's a matter of camera clarity. Hmm

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's not hydra, a quick zoom in confirms that. Hydra are unmistakeable, what you have there are just random varying sized blotches of......well, that's what we need to find out, lol. It's odd that it's just in a random patch and it's also odd that you did a water change only yesterday and already your nitrate is 40-80ppm, and according to your schedule you're not due another until Monday...when your nitrate will be what?!?!?

What i'm getting at is that if you run your tank with consistently high nitrate then that is a lot of excess nutrient for all sorts of random growths to feed off.

I honestly just think it's a patch of fungal growth where you didn't clean the glass thoroughly enough during your last maintainance. I bet if you reduced your nitrate via more frequent and/or larger water changes, and cleaned your glass more thoroughly, that your patches of fuzzy growth will cease.

Johnez

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2020
It's not hydra, a quick zoom in confirms that. Hydra are unmistakeable, what you have there are just random varying sized blotches of......well, that's what we need to find out, lol. It's odd that it's just in a random patch and it's also odd that you did a water change only yesterday and already your nitrate is 40-80ppm, and according to your schedule you're not due another until Monday...when your nitrate will be what?!?!?

What i'm getting at is that if you run your tank with consistently high nitrate then that is a lot of excess nutrient for all sorts of random growths to feed off.

I honestly just think it's a patch of fungal growth where you didn't clean the glass thoroughly enough during your last maintainance. I bet if you reduced your nitrate via more frequent and/or larger water changes, and cleaned your glass more thoroughly, that your patches of fuzzy growth will cease.
Yeah, I used to do 20-30% changes, but the nitrates would creep up too fast. Tank doesn't look too heavily stocked but it may be. 40-80 nitrates depending on how you look at the vial, sideways it's orangish but over the top it's bright red before a water change. I may be a bit paranoid, I'd rather err on safety which is why I do heavy WC.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC

I myself couldn’t see with enough clarity to say for certain that the OPs picture is Hydra or not.
He did post another picture taken from Reddit that definitely looks like Hydra to me and said his problem looks like the same.
This is how I came to the conclusion that it could be hydra.
But it would have to be determined either with an HD photo or in person.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store