(smaller sp.) Suggestions, Suggestions, Suggestions... give me your suggestions!!!

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
Greetings all knowledgeable ones

The time has come to put together a tank I've been toying with for way to many years (well, it's been in the back of my head).
I want to put together a low light catfish tank.

So far I'm really sold on this list:

1 Black Lancer Catfish
1 Spotted Talking Catfish
1 Driftwood Catfish (Trachelyopterus Fisheri)
1 Striped Talking Catfish
1 Featherfin Catfish
1 Hoplo Catfish
5 Asian Bumblebee Catfish
5 Upside Down Catfish
5 Venezuelan Cories
1 undecided L no.

I'm realistic in the fact that some members may need to eventually need to be moved up to aquariums with slightly larger fish down the track or the smaller specimens moved across to one of my planted tanks, but for the initial stocking the sizes max out at 8cm (just over 3"). Obviously fish grow at different rates so I'll need to monitor as I go along.

This will be my first tank utilising a sump which I've already got my hands on, 4ft 120L.
I DO NOT have the tank to start the hard scape yet however as I do not have a circle of real-word fish keeping contacts to bump opinions around with regarding tank size.
I would prefer higher filtration over going overboard with too much space as this will be a pretty docile viewing tank. I've read as much online profiles regarding these fish as I can and am interested in finding out any compatibility issues from real people if you know any?

Also, I've only ever kept Cories from this list. Apart from that my experience is:

Central American Cichlids
Bettas/The Breeding of
What you would call 'standard' small community fish
Low Tech Planted Nano tanks

All a far cry from what I'm wanting to do here.

As per usual, any help would be appreciated!

Theplecoguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2019
what size tank do you plan on getting first off, when i made the jump over to sump filtration on my rays/cats and arowana i couldnt be happier
you dont really need anything high tech in the sump department a 3 or 4 chamer baffled sump would suit your needs as well as good media

personally i use seachem matrix and a chinese bio sponge and prior to any of that i have a wet/dry trickle filter with sponge and topped with filter floss as a prefilter

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
what size tank do you plan on getting first off, when i made the jump over to sump filtration on my rays/cats and arowana i couldnt be happier
you dont really need anything high tech in the sump department a 3 or 4 chamer baffled sump would suit your needs as well as good media

personally i use seachem matrix and a chinese bio sponge and prior to any of that i have a wet/dry trickle filter with sponge and topped with filter floss as a prefilter
Hi mate, thanks for the reply! You may have missed it but I wrote:

"I DO NOT have the tank to start the hard scape yet however as I do not have a circle of real-word fish keeping contacts to bump opinions around with regarding tank size."

I'm new to these particular fish and am really keen for opinions. There's a very large selection of second hand tanks for reasonable prices bumping around my neck of the woods at the moment. I'm really hoping to see if there's a consensus here on suitable size from you guys. I only have one other real-world mate with a tank at the moment and his tank is a 4ft tank with half a dozen tetras lol.

*appreciate the info for the sump as well, thanks mate

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
RB: I want to put together a low light catfish tank.
TBTB: Glad to hear you are coming to your senses :)

RB: So far I'm really sold on this list:

1 Black Lancer Catfish
1 Featherfin Catfish
1 Hoplo Catfish
5 Upside Down Catfish
5 Venezuelan Cories
1 undecided L no.

TBTB: That's a cool list :) The biggest problem would be 5 Asian bumblebees as they tend to be aggressive to each other and can be to others too. 5 USD catfish... do you mean Synodontis nigriventris? If so, these are docile. The next risky one is the featherfin, these can be unpredictable, usually ok and so can be tried but be prepared to remove too. IDK anything about the loaches you mention.

RB: I would prefer higher filtration over going overboard with too much space as this will be a pretty docile viewing tank.
TBTB: I understand what you think but you might be surprised. Depending on how you scape it, you might fall in love and rate it your best viewing tank. It better be scaped well with lots of hiding spots and area defining features, so again I understand your fears of not seeing your fish much. Anyhoo, I'd strongly recommend going with the largest tank you can fit in your given space. I've been wrong before once or twice but I believe you won't be sorry. I'd say 240 gallon, 8x2x2 feet. (Staying true to my name.)

RB: I've read as much online profiles regarding these fish as I can and am interested in finding out any compatibility issues from real people if you know any?
TBTB: Great! Now in addition to this thread, I'd recommend doing the forums, MFK, Planet Catfish via search. That's your real experience too.

Theplecoguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2019
thats why i asked what size tank do you PLAN on getting , it will help with suggestions

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
RB: I want to put together a low light catfish tank.
TBTB: Glad to hear you are coming to your senses :)

RB: So far I'm really sold on this list:

1 Black Lancer Catfish
1 Featherfin Catfish
1 Hoplo Catfish
5 Upside Down Catfish
5 Venezuelan Cories
1 undecided L no.

TBTB: That's a cool list :) The biggest problem would be 5 Asian bumblebees as they tend to be aggressive to each other and can be to others too. 5 USD catfish... do you mean Synodontis nigriventris? If so, these are docile. The next risky one is the featherfin, these can be unpredictable, usually ok and so can be tried but be prepared to remove too. IDK anything about the loaches you mention.

RB: I would prefer higher filtration over going overboard with too much space as this will be a pretty docile viewing tank.
TBTB: I understand what you think but you might be surprised. Depending on how you scape it, you might fall in love and rate it your best viewing tank. It better be scaped well with lots of hiding spots and area defining features, so again I understand your fears of not seeing your fish much. Anyhoo, I'd strongly recommend going with the largest tank you can fit in your given space. I've been wrong before once or twice but I believe you won't be sorry. I'd say 240 gallon, 8x2x2 feet. (Staying true to my name.)

RB: I've read as much online profiles regarding these fish as I can and am interested in finding out any compatibility issues from real people if you know any?
TBTB: Great! Now in addition to this thread, I'd recommend doing the forums, MFK, Planet Catfish via search. That's your real experience too.
Thanks a lot for you input, it's really appreciated and I've taken it all on board!

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
thats why i asked what size tank do you PLAN on getting , it will help with suggestions
I think we've gotten our wires crossed somewhere?

"I DO NOT have the tank to start the hard scape yet as I do not have a circle of real-word fish keeping contacts to bump opinions around with regarding tank size."

To further look into this statement I've made, I am saying that I:

"I DO NOT have the tank to start the hard scape yet"

1(a): I have not started putting together the tank
1(b): I have not acquired the tank

"as I do not have a circle of real-word fish keeping contacts to bump opinions around with regarding tank size."

2{a): The reason I have not acquired the tank is because I lack a circle of people with experience to suggest a correct size
2(b): I am implying that I am seeking suggestions from other fish keepers (due to lacking real-world fish keeping peers)

In my reply to your post (of which I am grateful for, thanks again) I replied

"There's a very large selection of second hand tanks for reasonable prices bumping around my neck of the woods at the moment. I'm really hoping to see if there's a consensus here on suitable size from you guys."

OK, so what I was trying to say is that I have a large selection of sizes to choose from. Well a reasonable enough selection that I have room to move.

I have PLANNED to get no particular sized tank at the moment. I am planning a stocking list and seeking feedback on that list and also feedback on tank size to PLAN/PURCHASE.

Thanks again.

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
Further research is making me think I should scrap the black lancer cat as it will probably not be compatible with so many other bottom dwellers.

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter : The upside down cat, I'm almost certain the ones we get here are Synodontis nigriventris, and max out under 10cm and yep, are the docile ones.

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 3.52.43 AM.png

I've also somehow gotten confused with the temperament of the Asian Bumblebee, so I completely agree with your points and perhaps a single specimen would be more appropriate.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
RB: Further research is making me think I should scrap the black lancer cat as it will probably not be compatible with so many other bottom dwellers.
TBTB: IME black lancer is a timid fish but of course I'd heed the entire community over anyone's experience. Compatibility of aggressive and semi-aggressive fish depends most heavily on space. Most cohab horror stories originate from small tanks where the fish can't hide well / far enough from each other and/or can't get out of each other face. Another reason to maximize the tank size from the get go.

RB: I've also somehow gotten confused with the temperament of the Asian Bumblebee, so I completely agree with your points and perhaps a single specimen would be more appropriate.
TBTB: Asian bumblebee IMO is roughly as (non)risky as the black lancer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store