(smaller sp.) Suggestions, Suggestions, Suggestions... give me your suggestions!!!

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
This thread has been really productive for me so far and I really appreciate the feedback! This feedback is exactly what I've needed.

Great forum.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would swap out the 9" bumblebees for microglanis probably iheringi. Personally I would keep the black lancer or a marbled Lancer as they are timid and slow growing so peaceful. Would certainly change out the featherfin, especially if you plan to keep the upside downs. Would be tempted to swap out the raphaels as dubious how much you would see it, go for a trio of hoplo, not just 1.
maybe a trio of albino blue eye bristlenose.
minimum tank size imo is 4ft probably by 18" for a couple of years although your Lancer and fisheri will find this tight when larger.

Alternative is to go with the much larger tank, keep the 9" bumblebees, replace the small corries with a larger variety, maybe even brochis. Still up the Hoplos to a trio. Don't think you would have too many issues although I would still not recommend featherfin - not if you go with the nigriventris.

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
I would swap out the 9" bumblebees for microglanis probably iheringi. Personally I would keep the black lancer or a marbled Lancer as they are timid and slow growing so peaceful. Would certainly change out the featherfin, especially if you plan to keep the upside downs. Would be tempted to swap out the raphaels as dubious how much you would see it, go for a trio of hoplo, not just 1.
maybe a trio of albino blue eye bristlenose.
minimum tank size imo is 4ft probably by 18" for a couple of years although your Lancer and fisheri will find this tight when larger.

Alternative is to go with the much larger tank, keep the 9" bumblebees, replace the small corries with a larger variety, maybe even brochis. Still up the Hoplos to a trio. Don't think you would have too many issues although I would still not recommend featherfin - not if you go with the nigriventris.
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I'm unable to get microglanis here in Australia, otherwise I can guarantee that would be replacing something on the list.
I cannot swap out the raphaels though! I understand they will be a rare sight but believe it or not they're probably up there at pole position (I know right?).
I'll read more into the Featherfin. I think it would be a shame to omit it in this scenario. Trio of Hoplos could replace the cories all together perhaps as they share similar characteristics and are built more suitably to coexist with the others. Good suggestion with the brochis still though, I actually spent a good hour today looking into them.

It's really been helpful getting other peoples opinions, I've been keeping a fish list doc. open on my browser that I've been playing with since starting this thread that I've been tweaking as you guys have been giving me more to think about.

It's very different to the initial list. It'll probably change again. And again.

1 Black Lancer Catfish
2 Spotted Talking Catfish
2 Striped Talking Catfish
1 Driftwood Catfish (Trachelyopterus Fisheri)
1 Asian Bumblebee Catfish
3 Hoplo Catfish
1 Featherfin Catfish
1 undecided L no. , Maybe L397... I'd KILL for a 191 but I'm having trouble digesting the $1K+ price tag here in Australia.

still all up in the air, but I think I'm getting closer to sensible.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Why are you so hung up on the raphs? Just curious. Chances are they will not be merely a rare sight, they may easily be a never sight unless sitting in the dark with an infrared viewer looking at blurry cryptic images scratches you where you itch, but not seeing your pet or rarely seeing it IMHO defeats the purpose altogether and can be plain dangerous as you won't catch problems, illnesses, etc. in time, may miss decaying corpses too spoiling the water, etc.

I'd personally go with multiple lancers (if the tank is relatively huge, like the 240 gal) and multiple fisheris (these too I am not sure how much you will see of them); more hoplos, like 6. In general, I find keeping multiples of any species, like at least 3 but better 5-6+, is far more rewarding and educational than one or two. They grow differently and they interact with each other, which is cool to witness, not to mention breeding prospects.

In a big tank, I'd think eupterus can be ok, even multiples, as in my case; in a small tank, perhaps I'd heed Dave.

I kept many synos, including eupterus, in 120 gal and 55 gal too but the tank(s) were scaped utterly heavily:

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
Why are you so hung up on the raphs? Just curious. Chances are they will not be merely a rare sight, they may easily be a never sight unless sitting in the dark with an infrared viewer looking at blurry cryptic images scratches you where you itch, but not seeing your pet or rarely seeing it IMHO defeats the purpose altogether and can be plain dangerous as you won't catch problems, illnesses, etc. in time, may miss decaying corpses too spoiling the water, etc.

I'd personally go with multiple lancers (if the tank is relatively huge, like the 240 gal) and multiple fisheris (these too I am not sure how much you will see of them); more hoplos, like 6. In general, I find keeping multiples of any species, like at least 3 but better 5-6+, is far more rewarding and educational than one or two. They grow differently and they interact with each other, which is cool to witness, not to mention breeding prospects.

In a big tank, I'd think eupterus can be ok, even multiples, as in my case; in a small tank, perhaps I'd heed Dave.

I kept many synos, including eupterus, in 120 gal and 55 gal too but the tank(s) were scaped utterly heavily:

I‘m ‘hung up’ on the Ralph’s as I like the look of them, their compatibility, the actual reclusiveness and what I have researched about them. Just like I’ve been ‘hung up’ about many of other fishes I’ve kept in the past. Different strokes I suppose.
Cheers anyway for your opinions.
Interesting photos you linked, thanks for the effort.

Anyway, time to get started putting some things together I guess. These things don’t put themselves together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store