Smaller tank mates/possible food?

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Any advice or recommendations for smaller fish to stock in my large gar tank? Tank is a little over 500gallons. I don't really care if they get eaten here and there. I was thinking of a smaller species of sunfish. But then I read about even those get crazy when sexually mature.

I'm not set on the idea. Just thought it would be cool to have a school of something in there too. Kinda like you see at public aquariums

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
As gars are energy efficient ambush predators, pretty much all mid to top-dwelling fish that will fit in its mouth will find its way there eventually, unlike with more active hunters like piranhas, which can usually be safely housed together with very small schooling fish like neon tetras.

If you keep florida gars then some ropefish would make great tankmates, as long as the ropes are more or less grown. They're not exactly small but they're slender. Otherwise I suppose disc-shaped fish would be the way to go. A pair of Ctenopoma for example. Also snakeheads, depending on where you live.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store