Smallest eel you have purchased sizewise ?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
I just acted on my impulse buy and nabbed two fire eels at 9cm and 12cm long. Those for me is the smallest eels I have ever purchased. Both ate bloodworms like piggies in the tank.

Tried to upload vid of them pigging out but wouldnt let me. Im not tech saavy to work with youtube yet. The 2nd eel is on the left when the 1st one is grabbing bloodworms snagged on the moss above it.

What was the smallest size for you and how long did it get to 12" 24"

Screenshot_20200920-163403_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20200920-163415_Video Player.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
To post a video on here you’ll unfortunately have to upload it to YouTube, if you want then I can walk you through the steps of uploading a video to YouTube if you wish?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Smallest one is now reaching 6" long. Both Like to shake raw defrosted cut up shrimp like a dog. Sitting with their heads peeking out of whatever crevice they are chilling out in like a watchdog eyeing me they now know when i am sitting in front of the tank with the chair it means their food is coming up. They recognize the turkey baster I use to drop in food for them and the jaguar cats.

SmartSelect_20201222-195230_Gallery.jpg

20201222_142311.jpg

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hey quick update: usually I do glass cleaning before trying photo sessions and the lighting was actually working at 2AM for me to not share how much their markings have evolved/changed. sorry in advance

All of the debris is their/other resident fish food frozen brine/sprilluna with mysis. I gave after they tried chopped up/whole earthworms and spat it out. For some reason had to screengrab the photo it was too large ?‍♀?‍♀

SmartSelect_20210425-152537_Gallery.jpg

I have also named them now. They are Jekyll and Hyde due to their personalities

Jekyll is the lighter colored one and is more docile and nicer/outgoing. Is the biggest of the two. Due to his outgoing temperament and willingness to try new food out. Hitting past 11" easily. Really hard to measure them when they're constantly on the go, curved somewhere.

Hyde's the dark boy a recluse, a skeptic and is constantly biting Jekyll when hes hungry jealous as heck that Jekyll is actually eating stuff that himself refuse to eat in the first place ? Smaller framed and is stubborn with trying different food. Hitting at least 10" mark. Has not yet warmed up to defrosted shrimp yet hes so up and down about it sometimes he will nibble on it mostly turns up his nose on it and is hangry about it. Hes the reason why both still getting small mysis shrimp and brine with bloodworms as treat so he doesnt take his crankiness on everyone else in the tank. I still give Jekyll and others in tank Defrosted shrimp once a week or twice depending on being able to do wc

The caves seen in the background are the same sized ones in previous photo.

Last edited:

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Happy Fish Saturday! Measured the smallest of the two. darker one Hyde is offically at the 12" mark in length. Jekylls measurement will follow when i find that dang tape measurement as he exceeds 12" ruler stick easily. If you own eels you know how hard it is to make them stay still to move the ruler.

Cheers

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
I just acted on my impulse buy and nabbed two fire eels at 9cm and 12cm long. Those for me is the smallest eels I have ever purchased. Both ate bloodworms like piggies in the tank.

Tried to upload vid of them pigging out but wouldnt let me. Im not tech saavy to work with youtube yet. The 2nd eel is on the left when the 1st one is grabbing bloodworms snagged on the moss above it.

What was the smallest size for you and how long did it get to 12" 24"

View attachment 1433213View attachment 1433214
SAVE_20210902_192249.jpg
Hi I have some question: can tire track eel and carapo live in the same tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store