Smell from the tank

Tami Sims

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Washington State
If your filters are the bio wheel kind, I have had a similar problem. I only have one biowheel and all the 13 others are canister. I just put a canister on the back with it and the problem was solved. The smell would run you out of the room, but once I did that the smell was gone in a day or two. Also, make sure you go all the way to the bottom of the tank when you clean the gravel. The other tank I had just stunk. I had a large tin foil barb in there ( about 8 inches) and I added two others that were about 5 inches each. It was a 40 gal tank and although it should ahve help them for a while, the Bio load was just too much so I moved them. Hope that helps and good luck :thumbsup:

mikehawk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
FL
When was the last time you disassembled your filters and scrubbed them out? The manual recommends doing this every two months. Also, do you have any algea or brown slime on the walls of the aquarium? That makes it stink, too.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
your nitrogen level is high and that is causing the fishy smell. Let the filters establish themselves, try not to feed too much at this stage and do bigger water changes.

I would do 50 or more ( personally i do 60-70% twice a week on my tank ) providing your tap and tank water are similar in parameters to keep the odor away. I also agree on thorough gravel cleanings and checking your filter too see if theres a dead fish or morsel of food stuck inside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store