snail breeding

jdm885

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
couple of questions about snail breeding:

1- are snails asexual? meaning they dont need another snail to breed?
2- if they're not, how would you breed them?
3- what water temperature, etc?

thanks,

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
what kind of snails do you want to breed ? i have great pond snails which get pretty large breed very very fast and are not a sexual.they are both male and female but you need at least to two get them going. do not have anything else in the tank ,a filter helps but they can survive pretty horrible conditions. feed them and after a while you will see lots of white blobs on the glass after a few weeks these will come out as tiny babies.give a group a month or so to get going then you should have a pretty good supply. just chuck them scraps of veg and they should be good.

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
jdm885;2028657; said:
couple of questions about snail breeding:

1- are snails asexual? meaning they dont need another snail to breed?
2- if they're not, how would you breed them?
3- what water temperature, etc?

thanks,

1 - Some are, some are not, some are a little bit of both.

2 - depends on the snail.

3 - this I am unsure about.

What kind of snails do you have? I dont really know to much, but I thought I could help you get the ball rolling until an expert pops in here and can give you more definite answers.

jdm885

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I have 2 golden mystery snails, one is just over a year old and the other is about 2 months.
They're in a 60 gallon tank with 4 sens, 3 banjo cats, and porthole cat doing just fine.
Water changes weekly, great filtration, etc.

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
the easiest way i know of;

decide you dont want snails, then they will breed like crazy and you will never be rid of them!

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
jdm885;2028701; said:
I have 2 golden mystery snails, one is just over a year old and the other is about 2 months.
They're in a 60 gallon tank with 4 sens, 3 banjo cats, and porthole cat doing just fine.
Water changes weekly, great filtration, etc.
From what I know mystery snails need a pair and they only breed above the water line. So you need to drop the water level in the tank enough that they can go about the water line and they will lay eggs on the glass. I guess they dont necessarily need a pair, but they dont reproduce like a Malaysian trumpet snail or something. They are a good snail to keep if you dont want them to reproduce. I have had 2 in my tank for about 6 months now and they have not laid eggs or anything, which is what I wanted...now I am getting MTS because they burrow in the sand and reproduce like crazy, but my fish eat then as well.

So if you want them to reproduce you just need to follow a few guidelines I guess, I am sure someone on here can tell you more detail on it. There has to be someone that has had them reproduce in their tank.

flaringshutter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
socal
www.myspace.com
Some snails are asexual, some are not. Asexual species include MTS, common ramshorns, and physids (common pond snails). Sexual species include "mystery snails," "trapdoor" snails, nerites, and giant columbian ramshorns. Not a complete list, of course, but these are species you might come across in the aquarium trade.

Mystery snails - Pomacea bridgesii - are sexual, requiring both a male and female to breed. They lay pinkish clutches above the water line, which can be crushed or frozen if they are unwanted. If you have a sexually mature pair, they will breed on their own without any help.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
feed well, raise the temp up to 81*F, add some form of calcium to the water (this hardens their shell and raises the pH to slow shell erosion), keep a good lid on to conserve moisture so the eggs dont dry and keeps the snails in. Give 2-3 weeks and you'll have babies!

Reactions: Faunadael
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store