Snail ?

turkoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
wi
Are snails safe to feed to your fish (in my case A stingray) if you breed them in your own aquarium with nothing but them.
Or is there still A risk cause if there is then I definatly do not want to feed them snails

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
My grandma always talks about she used to catch snails with traps by the hundreds, feed them lettuce in a clean trough for 2-3 weeks, then they were safe to eat.

That's humans though, and cooking them, no idea about fish :)

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
The biggest thing I know to worry about with snails is digenean trematodes. To complete their life cycle they go from bird to snail to fish. Thus if you raised your snails in a closed system with no other fish or access to birds then your new offspring snails should be clean. The simplest way to start a colony would be to place some adult snails in a tank then remove them once they lay eggs. At this point I would consider all future snails to be clean. Keep in mind you want to do this inside. If you simply set up a bucket or pool outside you run the risk of birds defecating in your culture and recontaminating it.

In all honesty even if you started with contaminated snails in your ray tank the ray would be a dead end for the trematodes. The load would likely be minimal and well below what your rays can handle. Assuming they aren't set up in an aviary where the life cycle could be continued.

I would be interested if anyone has evidence of other issues with snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store