Snakehead Noob

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
OK OMG I just saw my first snakehead.... my buddy has one that is about 2 feet long and is crazy.... this thing went after a feeder and slamed his face in the glass so hard I'm actually shocked it didn't break. I couldn't have kicked the tank that hard. Tell me about these fish, how big of a tank do they require??? how big do they get???? How hard are they to keep, like I see the power is it posible for this thing to break the tank???? be honest I know there crazy cool but does it get on your nerves sometimes when he is smashing the tank and making water go all over the place all the time??? I understand feeding but this guys fish doesn't calm down for a second. Please teach me??? his was a redline snakehead by the way. What is the overall difficulty of keeping these

viper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
If your friend has on he probaly had it for years they are now illegal to have and you would never find one on the internet or petshops.

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
^EHHH, Not that hard to find.

I have a feeling they arent illegal in Ontario

I dont know much about these guys, but just be careful when your cleaning the tank. My frind had one bite his hand, and left a nasty mark.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
Chago09;655624; said:
OK OMG I just saw my first snakehead.... my buddy has one that is about 2 feet long and is crazy.... this thing went after a feeder and slamed his face in the glass so hard I'm actually shocked it didn't break. I couldn't have kicked the tank that hard. Tell me about these fish, how big of a tank do they require??? how big do they get???? How hard are they to keep, like I see the power is it posible for this thing to break the tank???? be honest I know there crazy cool but does it get on your nerves sometimes when he is smashing the tank and making water go all over the place all the time??? I understand feeding but this guys fish doesn't calm down for a second. Please teach me??? his was a redline snakehead by the way. What is the overall difficulty of keeping these
well they are indeed a tankbuster...try to buy a tank of thicker glass or maybe an acrylic type...I taught mine to eat dead food to minimize the risk of tankbusting...they are very low in maintenance I have 3 of them ranging from 15-17 inches.I do weekly partial change (50% aged water) with them are two leopard butterfly pleco

I feed them frozen foods anchovies , porkchops ,tawilis, ham,bacon,tilapias,milkfish

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
ya I think they are illegal in ontario, but does that mean you need to get rid of the ones you have??? like if I were to own one that is older then the law would I be grandfathered and allowed to keep the fish??? The fish seems a little too much though like it's 2 feet long and to me seems that it's to powerful to be kept in a tank. This thing is literally strong enough to break the half inch glass that surrounds him. I would love to own one but I don't know.... I'm very undecided. what tank size does it truly need???? the owner will give me the fish for only $40 CND lol is this fish worth a lot more now that there banned.

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
Channa is a genus of the Channidae family of snakehead fishes. It contains about 29 species but they keep finding more. They range from small (Channa gachua)
To quite large (Channa marulius) and also range from fairly docile to evil. (Channa micropeltes) or red snakehead. Snakeheads breathe air, and can survive out of water for long periods of time and have been know to cross land to get to new hunting grounds. They are a tough fish as of October 4, 2002 the import or interstate transport of 29 species of live snakehead fish or their eggs is illegal anywhere in the United States.

RichardAshleySnakehead04.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store