So...You want to get a gulper catfish...

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Lost track of this thread; nice to see it still going. The hand-feed video is exactly what was needed, more useful and interesting than another goldfish-down-the-hatch one.

My apologies if my earlier comments were taken as "disheartening", wasn't the intention. I just wanted to suggest a move in this direction, i.e. actually doing and documenting something new, useful, and in all likelihood healthier for the fish. Judging from the apparent size of your gulper, it should be able to easily handle silversides now; they are very slender and elongated, with no inconvenient spines or projections. Actually a pretty poor design, if your goal is to avoid being eaten, since they slide down like a cold beer on a hot day...:)

They gutload very easily; a small slit in the abdomen, and several pellets, tablets, etc. can be tucked inside. Best to push them into the opening and then back towards the tail; when the fish is swallowed headfirst, this prevents them from popping out as the body is squeezed into the predator's mouth. Algae tabs would work great. I've also filled gelatin capsules with powdered supplements...more for reptiles than for fish...and they are a convenient way to load this type of substance into a silversides, earthworm, shrimp, etc.
It’s ok? you where trying to help. I can try them considering they’re slim, but I might need to break them in half. I’ll stuff them with the algae and I’m getting this high quality food in a few days I’ll add.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah like algae max or some other herbivore food pellet.

You are just trying to mimic what would or could happen in nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Little update, my gulper is still doing good. the white patch has gone away. I'm studying stuff on my laptop so ill add pictures in a bit. his tank has started a little bit of brown algae on the sand so i'm keeping the lights dim and cleaning it often.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
"Brown" might be a browner sp. of algae, or it might be cyanobacteria or it might be a diatom - all related to nutrients & light (or so).
Reduce light & change water, yes. You may also want to add snails to directly eat, and/or add live plants either into the water or overhead with roots draping into the water.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
"Brown" might be a browner sp. of algae, or it might be cyanobacteria or it might be a diatom - all related to nutrients & light (or so).
Reduce light & change water, yes. You may also want to add snails to directly eat, and/or add live plants either into the water or overhead with roots draping into the water.
Im getting plants for my 29g tank tomorrow or tonight, I’ll get some for his tank too. I have pothos and dumb cane in the tank I’ll gl get some aquatic plants though.

Shlurpy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2022
Hey Kolton,
This might seem a little random, but I’ve wanted a gulper for so long and the second I saw that a place near me had them in stock I immediately ordered one. It was not exactly an impulse buy, I have a cycled 40b set up just for him and I’ve done plenty of research, both in the past and recently. I’m not confident that anyone will respond as this website is a little deserted, but I thought I’d ask how your gulper is doing if you still have him ?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey Kolton,
This might seem a little random, but I’ve wanted a gulper for so long and the second I saw that a place near me had them in stock I immediately ordered one. It was not exactly an impulse buy, I have a cycled 40b set up just for him and I’ve done plenty of research, both in the past and recently. I’m not confident that anyone will respond as this website is a little deserted, but I thought I’d ask how your gulper is doing if you still have him ?
Last time I remember. I do believe the golfer did pass away. This was due to water issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store