So you're saying there's a chance!

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
Looking for input for a pair of motoros. 6-7 inch male born in December 2018 and a 12 inch female guessing 2 to 3 years old. They have called a 220 gallon home for 4 months now with a 12 inch silver arowana and 9 giant danios. Until last week I have been feeding 8 pellets of massivore delite morning and night. The arowana gets about 1 of the 8, the male gets 2 to 3 and the female gets the rest at 4 to 5 pellets. Last week I bumped it up to 10 pellets morning and night, and started target feeding the male when I am randomly home midday or working in the shop. He can eat a whole pellet but it takes him a while and the odds are the female will get it from him so I break it in 2 and wait a few minutes between pieces.

Any input on the chances they will become a mated pair? I have poured over the threads and understand he could be mature already or it could be another year.

Any target feeding ideas? It feels slightly unfair to get the female excited when she smells the male eating and goes "hungry", she gets over it within a minute. Will I be able to bulk him up or should I let time take its course?

This is my second round keeping rays. Had a pair of 6 inchers that would have been the male's siblings. Took a 10 day vacation and came back to cloudy water and an ammonia spike. Totally my fault as I wasn't clear enough about the food amounts. Harsh lesson learned.

Filtration consists of 3 400gph hang ons and a pair of 530 gph canisters. 90 gallon water changes twice a week or not more than 4 days so far. Parameters have been steady zeros. PH of 7.0.

The rays get along famously and are active all the time. Debating adding another female somewhere between their sizes. $3 to 4k in the budget for a larger tank this fall.

I look forward to becoming a better ray keeper by learning from the MFK family. Any questions are welcome. Thank you

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
I looked at some heater guards on line. Luckily my LFS had some spares and tossed them in for picking up a new fx6.

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
I stopped target feeding the smaller ray. It seemed to make him less voracious during regular feedings. The larger female knows to wait in the areas where the pellets drop and occasionally the male will swim all over in excitement and miss out on a portion.
I think I have figured out that they can tell when I am prepping their food and this triggers the stated behaviors. To give the male a better chance at his fair share I started to set the pellets on the cover where they get dropped in and walk away for a minute or 2. This seems to settle him down, then I sneak in and drop the food in 2 different spots.

Anyone have insights to feed more effectively?
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store